Moderator Control Panel ]

Sad news about Sylvia Murphy

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Re: Sad news about Sylvia Murphy

Postby ewanarm » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:46 pm

Very sad to hear this. Sylvia was a great help to me when researching Ceylon connections. Rest in peace.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
ewanarm

Postby JaneyH » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:31 pm

So sorry to read this. Sylvia helped me with many bits and pieces over the years, but most memorably with my convict ancestor. She navigated through Australian sources I had never seen before, and I’ll always be grateful for her help.

Please pass on my condolences to Sylvia’s family.

Jane

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby MaureenE » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:00 am

Rest In Peace, Sylvia.

Sylvia was very helpful to me when I first started researching my family in British India, in the days when your only option, if you weren’t able to visit London, was to go to what is now called a FamilySearch Centre, run by the Mormon Church, and order in microfilms.

She volunteered at a FamilySearch Centre in her area, although she was not a Mormon Church member, assisting researchers, in addition to volunteering in the same role at SAG, Society of Australian Genealogists, in Sydney. In these two roles she helped many researchers, and no doubt in turn gained much knowledge about all aspects of genealogy.

Some years ago she studied for and gained a diploma in Family History Studies from an English institution, (whose details I cannot remember, but possibly based in, or near Oxford) for which she was required to produce a research paper. Using her knowledge of the FamilySearch catalogue, (which was quite difficult to navigate back then) she located some microfilms of Danish records relating to Serampore India, which no one else was apparently aware of, and analysed these for her research.

Sylvia was a very active volunteer for FIBIS, Families in British India Society, including the transcribing of many records for the FIBIS online database.

She will be missed.

Maureen
MaureenE

Postby KayFarndon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:17 am

How sad to hear of Sylvia's passing. I like to think we were friends and I am sure many other message board users feel that too. It will not be the same without her helpful comments. My thoughts and prayers are with her family.
KayFarndon

Postby paulr1949 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:05 am

I can only echo others’ thoughts. Her replies were always informative and interesting. RIP Sylvia and my condolences to her family

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby ianbee » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:00 pm

Very sad news. Sylvia was a wonderful lady, the forum will not be the same without her.
Ian
ianbee

Postby coopernicola » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:46 pm

Such sad news, as others have said Sylvia will be missed.
coopernicola

Postby sdup26 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:23 pm

I'm very sorry to hear about Sylvia; such sad news.
sdup26

Postby ksouthall » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:51 pm

I haven't checked the Forum for a few weeks so am sorry to hear the news about Sylvia.

Please pass on my condolences to her family, if that's possible.

Thanks,

Katherine
ksouthall

Previous

Return to Magazine chat