Moderator Control Panel ]

Dating an old photo

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Dating an old photo

Postby RM1927 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:39 am

The attached image (which I think is a photo that has been 'touched up') came to me from a cousin. I believe it is my great x 2 grandfather John McNeill/McNeil (a master joiner, born Dunoon, Argyll 1855, died Glasgow 1912), for the following reasons:

- it was produced by Mendelssohn & Co. in Melbourne, Victoria, which opened in 1880
- my great x 2 grandfather lived in Melbourne in early 1881, after arriving in Adelaide (South Australia) from Glasgow in 1879
- the image came to my cousin from her mother, and prior to that her grandmother, and prior to that her great grandfather, John Duncan McNeil (my great grandfather also), who was the eldest son of John McNeill and who was the informant on his father's death certificate in Glasgow in 1912
- on the back of the image is written the name McNeill (also a number, 6899, and 'pp Friday')
- from looking at other old photos of men on the internet, it appears the suit and tie and shirt being worn by the man in this photo are similar to others from the period 1880s-1890s.

The dimensions of the photo and frame are 25 cm x 29 cm and 35 cm x 45 cm respectively.

Could this photo be from the period around 1881?
Attachments
IMG_1231.jpg
Possibly John McNeill circa 1881 Melbourne
IMG_1231.jpg (647.02 KiB) Viewed 978 times
RM1927

Return to Photo identification