Moderator Control Panel ]

Looking for relatives of 'Lisbon Maru' POWs

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Looking for relatives of 'Lisbon Maru' POWs

Postby brunes08 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:29 pm

On the back page of my newspaper yesterday was an advertisement with a brief account of the sinking of the cargo ship Lisbon Maru. She was taking more than 1800 British POWs to Japan after the fall of Hong Kong in 1941. Tragically the ship, which was unmarked, was torpedoed by a US submarine with the loss of over 800 prisoners. The rest were taken to Japan where many more died.
It is a tragedy that has been largely forgotten. However, a Chinese film producer has decided to tell the story in a documentary along with a British co-producer.
They would like to trace any descendants or other relatives who may be able to add information about the POWs and the tragedy.
If any one can help they are asked to contact Major Brian Finch on enquiries@lisbonmaru.org.uk

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
brunes08

Re: Looking for relatives of 'Lisbon Maru' POWs

Postby junkers » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:47 am

There was a survivor who was still alive a few years ago (see https://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/wor ... -Maru.html) and hopefully the information at The National Archives and the Imperial War Museum are useful.
junkers

Postby midshipman » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:24 am

My uncle Charles Kennedy 1915-1995 was a pre-war regular soldier serving in the Royal Scots Regiment. Taken prisoner Christmas Day 1941 at the fall of Hong Kong to Japanese forces.
Aboard the Lisbon Maru when torpedoed by US submarine. Survived the horrors of the sinking to eventually be taken to Japan to work as slave labour in a shipyard. Once a severely damaged Japanese warship limped into the shipyard to be repaired and was met by cheers from the prisoners-of-war. Japanese guards attacked them with extra viciousness.
Luckily survived the brutality to marry and raise a family in Great Driffield. A family hero.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
midshipman

Postby Jethro Tull » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:52 pm

There is a chap living in Hong Kong, Tony Banham, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Banham. Who has written several books and has an excellent website all about the fall of Hong Kong and the survivors afterwards, http://www.hongkongwardiary.com/ He is generally regarded as one of the leading experts on the fall of Hong Kong, The Lisbon Maru etc. I have been in touch with him several times over the years and he has been massively helpful in adding information to my Great Uncles story who was killed at the fall of Hong Kong.

Cheers

Dan.
Jethro Tull

Postby brunes08 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:23 pm

My apologies. I didn't include his name in my initial post but Tony Banham is the co-producer of the documentary. Thanks for the additional links Dan.

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
brunes08

Postby SteveD1972 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:33 pm

To Midshipman,

I have a card that was made for my Grandad when he had a spell in Kobe Hospital. I’m 99 percent sure that your Uncle Charlie’s name is on there. Its signed by a group of men who called themselves “The Mad Gang” who did a lot in the way of entertainments for the P.o.W’s in Kobe House. I’ve got a few other bits of information i can send on to you as well if your interested.

Steve
SteveD1972

Postby midshipman » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi Steve, yes I would be very interested. I will private message you my email. Please contact me via this forum if it doesn't arrive.
Regards John

Sent from my SM-J320FN using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
midshipman

Return to Genealogy chat