Moderator Control Panel ]

Help with photo clues

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Help with photo clues

Postby Kevin Standage » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:13 am

Hi everyone,

Would like your thoughts on the following photograph.

I believe this is an Ambrotype, the photo measures 4cm x 5.5cm and is set within a small leather case.

At a very (rough) guess, I have dated the photo to circa 1858, would like peoples thoughts on that.

But what interests me more is this white cloth tied around his waist, and the items he is posed with.
In front of him appears to be a pot, and to the right of the pot and in his left hand (the image is of course reversed) are a couple of cylindrical objects. I'm not sure if this is a pestle and mortar.

That lead me to wonder if this chaps occupation was a Tallow Chandler perhaps, although I don't have many of those in my family tree and none that fit with someone in their 40s or 50s around this date.

So I'm curious to determine if these items and that band around his waist holds any further clues about occupation, and if my estimated date of circa 1858 seems about right.

Thanks for any help !

Kevin.
Attachments
Unknown3 Ambrotype c1858 - David George father maybe (eyebrows).jpg
Unknown3 Ambrotype c1858 - David George father maybe (eyebrows).jpg (230.21 KiB) Viewed 682 times
Unknown2 Ambrotype c1858 - David George father maybe (eyebrows).jpg
Unknown2 Ambrotype c1858 - David George father maybe (eyebrows).jpg (191.13 KiB) Viewed 682 times
Kevin Standage

Re: Help with photo clues

Postby phsvm » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:34 pm

It's obviously a posed photo but very strange that he seems to be wearing his outside clothes and almost as if he'd forgotten to take whatever was tied around his 'upper' waist off!

I can't think of any occupation where someone would wear a top hat and use any small objects like the ones he appears to have.

It's a pretty amazing top hat, even by top hat standards!
phsvm

Postby JMcK » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:50 pm

i Wonder if that ash is just tying him to the chair.
JMcK

Postby ksouthall » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:53 pm

This may sound odd but, if the sash is tying him to the chair, could be a photograph that was taken post mortem?
ksouthall

Return to Photo identification