Moderator Control Panel ]

Giant technicolour spam adds

Spotted an advert or what you think is an automated message? Let the magazine team know here

Postby SoozOne » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:34 am

I've just updated the app, to my horror every other post is a GIANT highly illustrated very tacky looking spam. Each one says Sponsored so I can only conclude they're authorised by WDYTYA.
They're even appearing at the end of every single post!
There are even ads promoting gambling, which given that some contributors have ancestors who have been victims of gambling, some even committed crime or suicided I find this absolutely disgusting.
This intrusive advertising has completely spoiled what was an interesting and informative forum.
Not only that I'm now extremely worried about security of the app and especially my privacy given that some ads are clearly New Zealand directed.
Please, Please can we go back to how the forum was before this latest update. Its now horrible!
Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
SoozOne

Re: Giant technicolour spam adds

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:21 pm

Directed ads are very common. They have, as I understand it, nothing whatsoever to do with the site that they are on, other than that the site in question inserts the "frame" for the ads (in exchange for cash from an advert wholesaler). The fact that the ads are directed at you does not mean that the app or site is looking at you - as I say, it knows nothing of the ads. Instead, the direction comes from things like Google searches that you've done. In my own Google Account, there's a section on Personal Info & Privacy / Ads Settings, which says:
Make the ads that you see more useful to you or opt out of seeing personalised ads on Google. If you opt out, you'll still see ads, but they'll be less relevant.

I have very definitely opted out because I simply don't want my adverts echoing the last Google Search I did (although the adverts for Light Sabres were intriguing...)

So the app itself is not a security risk, instead whichever advert wholesaler is running it, is looking at your other behaviour such as searches.

Nonetheless, from what you say, I am really not looking forward to getting this updated forum app since I find such stuff hugely irritating.

Be aware advertisers, you are cooking your own goose because eventually I got so fed up that I also run Adblock Plus (in my Firefox browser) which aims to kill as many ads as it can. (Which is probably no help at all to an app.)
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Rosemary Collins » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:27 am

Hi,

We're sorry to hear you've had a bad experience using the app. As Adrian said, these ads are NOT authorised by WDYTYA?, but by the third party company which built the forum app. Unfortunately to be able to offer a free app, they have to allow a degree of advertising to cover costs. However, we certainly do not want the advertising to be intrusive to the point that the app is hard to use, and we will look into what we can do to address your concerns. In the meantime, if you want to continue using the forum you can do so via your desktop computer for an ad-free experience.
Rosemary Collins
Editorial Assistant
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine
Rosemary Collins

Postby SoozOne » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:59 am

Thank you for your response Rosemary. These ads are horribly intrusive, some are really tacky, others promote gambling, and have just appeared in the latest update. They take up half a screen on my ipadmini and are deliberately targeted at my New Zealand email address, which is very scary. Especially so as I was under the impression my personal contact details were private and secure.
I am in my late 70s, have severe arthritis and am unable to use a desktop computer for more than a few minutes at a time. I have opted for security settings on Google, so I have no idea where these very worrying targeted apps are coming from, which makes it even more worrying.
There have never been ads on the forum before, so I don't know why this is happening now. They take up so much room I can only see three lines at a time of my reply.
I will be bitterly disappointed to not be able to participate in the forum any more, as its been so helpful in my ongoing family searches, but these deliberately targeted ads are scaring me.
I do so hope you can do something about them. Some of them are gambling ads which are inappropriate here on a forum where ancestors sadly have not survived gambling addictions. If not is there an option to have a paid for ad free version. I'd happily pay a little for that. The alternative is to have to leave the forum.
Sooz

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
SoozOne

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:27 pm

SoozOne wrote:... They take up half a screen on my ipadmini and are deliberately targeted at my New Zealand email address, which is very scary....
Sooz

Sooz - a couple of things - maybe. I say "maybe" because I'm not familiar with the Apple environment so could be way off beam.

Firstly, rather than use the app or the browser on a desktop PC, could you navigate to http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/forum/ using the Browser on your iPad (Safari is it?) and logon to the forum there? It may not be sized very well for reading on your iPad but the Forum App isn't any better from what you say.

Secondly, your IP address will easily tell the world that you're in NZ - they are, and always have been, allocated in ranges.

Rosemary, it seems to me that you need to get back to your contractors and tell them that their app is simply not fit for purpose, at least on an iPad Mini - no forum app should have its user content drowned to the extent that Sooz is finding. Whether it's been sized incorrectly or what, I've no idea, but if it drives anyone away, then it's totally failed. Not least because they can't sell advertising space on a departed user. Please note I'm just trying to find some words that will help you deal with the techies at the other end, based on what little I can work out.

If anyone has any better ideas, then I'm sure we'd all be relieved!
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby JaneyH » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:09 pm

How strange. I’m using the app on my iPhone 6s with iOS 11 and there are no adverts at all.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Return to Spam messages