Moderator Control Panel ]

Michelle Keegan's episode

A place to chat about the 15th series of the genealogy programme, which will feature stories from Olivia Colman, Lee Mack, Boy George and more

Michelle Keegan's episode

Postby Rosemary Collins » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:52 pm

Hello everyone!

It's been a long wait, but Who Do You Think You Are? series 15 will begin at 9pm on BBC One on Wednesday 6 June 2018, with a special episode starring Coronation Street and Our Girl actress Michelle Keegan as part of the BBC's Hear Her season to mark the 100th anniversary of women's suffrage.

Michelle's journey will take her to Gibraltar and Italy and back to her hometown of Manchester, where she discovers a family tie to the fight for women's right to the vote.

Let us know what you thought of the episode on this topic!
Rosemary Collins
Editorial Assistant
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine
Rosemary Collins

Re: Michelle Keegan's episode

Postby junkers » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:16 pm

I thought it was quite good, apart from Michelle not knowing where Genoa was. Not all women were given the Vote in 1918, just those aged 30 or over (when men aged 21 and over could as well), interesting points which I was unaware of were women writing down their occupation as suffragist (the non-violent campaigners) as opposed to Pankhurst and her supporters who engaged in violence and bombs. Of course electoral registers are just a list of people eligible to vote and serve on juries (noted by the letter J, ancestry have transcribed the J as part of the name) and not who voted as the vote Is supposed to be secret.
junkers

Postby KayFarndon » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:01 pm

I also enjoyed this and hope the other people featured will be as interesting. I liked the fact that it went back a really long way, which the previous series did not do. That was quite fascinating. I am not concerned that Michelle did not know where Genoa was, many people would not have known that.
I do wish that the voice over would not repeat what has already been said/found, that is un-necessary. Once again there will be questions as to how and where the researchers found their documents, with no clues given and in foreign countries it would be helpful to know what the procedures, are as opposed to here in the UK. Is it easier or more difficult?
Still an entertaining programme.
KayFarndon

Postby vas13 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:37 am

The programme was fine in general but I do wish that the series would occasionally feature a non-celebrity (say 1 or 2 per series) who perhaps hit brick walls! I realise that it might be down to viewing figures but the occasional ordinary person might actually boost those.
vas13

Postby PaulH01 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:33 pm

vas13 wrote:I realise that it might be down to viewing figures but the occasional ordinary person might actually boost those.

Considering I've heard of less than half of the 'celebrities' on the list, they might as well be ordinary people as far as I'm concerned :D . As long as they have interesting stories to tell, I don't mind. As ever, a bit more information about how the connections were obtained would have been nice, but I don't expect to get it any more.

I thought this episode was pretty good - Gibraltar was more interesting than I thought, and the Suffragist bit was quite topical too - reminded me of finding Chartists in my own ancestry.
Michelle Keegan showed the right amount of enthusiasm and apart from never having heard of Genoa, seemed to be intelligent enough to appreciate the information she was given.
PaulH01

Postby Tabithabenef » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:35 pm

I quite enjoyed the Gibraltar & Italy bits & was pleased it went back in time a fair way as they sometimes seem to stick on a person. It is a family tree so should find a few people to my way of thinking.

I agree with the previous comment I wish the voice over chap would stop repeating things & it would be nice to find out how they find the records abroad.

I have to confess I missed the last 3rd as her voice sent me to sleep, as it seems a monotonous tone.
My fault as i lost concentration on the subject.
Tabithabenef

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2018