Moderator Control Panel ]

Military Uniform Identification

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Military Uniform Identification

Postby Kevin Standage » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:44 am

Can anyone help identify this uniform ? The photographer studio was in Eton.

Thanks,
Kevin.
Attachments
Photographer, Jills and Saunders, Eton.jpg
Photographer, Jills and Saunders, Eton.jpg (94.01 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
Kevin Standage

Re: Military Uniform Identification

Postby Jethro Tull » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:40 pm

Hi Kevin,

I am not 100% on this one. The badge on his chest appears to be one of the light infantry regiments, which one though I am not too sure. The collar pip looks to be that for a 2nd lieutenant too. Someone else may be able to add more to this though or if i find anything else i'll reply. Maybe post this on www.victorianwars.com, I'm pretty certain they will be able to identify it.

Cheers

Dan
Jethro Tull

Postby Jethro Tull » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:47 pm

I'm now wondering if it could be one of the Scottish Light Infantry regiments. Just an idea though.

Dan
Jethro Tull

Postby woodchal » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:58 am

This doesn't help but...

Hills and Saunders were a large Victorian Photographers. Their Eton branch is all that remains. They are mentioned by the National Portrait Gallery, who have samples of their work. NPG say were appointed as photographers to Edward, Prince of Wales for their portraits of him while he was at Oxford University (Victoria's son?), Robert Hills and John Henry Saunders opened their Oxford Photographic Gallery in Eton in around 1863.

From then on their business flourished, and they were in constant demand when the Court was in residence at Windsor.
woodchal

Postby Kevin Standage » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:05 pm

THanks for the replies. Yes, I'm familiar with the photographers, I live about 20 miles away from Eton/Windsor. They were quite prolific photographing members of the royal family, and I did wonder if this was someone more famous and was bought as a souvenir. But typically such photographs have the persons name, and I've used google images to look for similar matching photographs on the web and have drawn a blank.

-Kevin.
Kevin Standage

Return to Military help