Moderator Control Panel ]

Logging in with new iPad App

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

Logging in with new iPad App

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:48 pm

It is extremely frustrating to have to manually enter user name and password, everytime I log in using the App.
Is there a way for app to be modified, so that these login details are remebered by the operating system?

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Mick Loney

Re: Logging in with new iPad App

Postby Editor » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:58 am

Hi Mick, I’m using the new app and I’m not having to log in each time. Is there an option in settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:16 am

Ah, but do you logout after each session? Out of principle, I always log out whenever I've finished using a site. Even more now that I know staying logged in to a site such as facebook, allows them to monitor a lot more about you than most people realise. A real touch of Big Brother, very sinister!
Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:21 pm

Hmm. If you logout (not unreasonable) but expect that the cookies remain on your machine to auto login next time? But the cookies don't track you? Hmm. I think you might be being a bit optimistic here... (He says after logging on to several Wi-fi systems on his afternoon out to save his data transmission limits)

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby brunes08 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:38 pm

If I want to log out, I receive a message that says "Your session will be completely removed from this device and you will no longer receive Push Notifications". I haven't a clue what that means. Could some kind soul enlighten me please.

brunes08

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:32 pm

Brunes08,
Push and Pull are terminology used to describe how message are sent between users. When you ask your mail server for your latest e-mails, you are using pull technology, (you are pulling them from the server), whereas if your mail server sends you e-mails without you asking, it is using Push technology. I.e it is pushing them to you.

Using snail mail as an analogy, if you have to go to the Post Office to get your letters, you would be using Pull, but if postman delivers them, he is using Push

To use push technology on the internet, you need to be logged in, so that the server knows where you are. This partly accounts for my comment about Big Brother and facebook, i.e. it knows where I am!

The app uses Push technology to send you notifications when someones answers a post you are following. The message is telling you that by logging out, you will prevent the app from notifying you.
Mick Loney

Postby brunes08 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:54 am

Thank you so much for your very clear explanation. Like many little issues I have had over the years with technology, the answer is really very simple! Thanks again.

brunes08

Return to Technical help