Moderator Control Panel ]

DNA HELP PLEASE

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

DNA HELP PLEASE

Postby Grandma Jedi » Tue May 15, 2018 7:30 pm

I have just done a DNA test with Ancestry and have been told I have a match of 65 cms over 4 segments with someone. What does this mean and how do I find out the above information for myself please?
Also, is it best to contact a possible person match by e-mail or via Ancestry "send a message"?

Thank you in anticipation.
Grandma Jedi
Last edited by Grandma Jedi on Wed May 16, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grandma Jedi

Re: DNA

Postby Mick Loney » Wed May 16, 2018 5:57 am

Put extremely simply, when two samples of DNA are compared, the matches are measured in Centimorgans (cms), the higher the cm value, the closer the match, and nearer the shared common Ancestor.

You really need to read up on the subject to get a deeper explanation, I bought The Family Tree Guide to DNA testing and genetic genealogy, by Blaire Bettinger which gives a good introduction.

A point that needs clarifying is how you got that information, as that is not the sort of information currently available on Ancestry.

I usually make initial contact via Ancestry message service, as Ancestry don’t give e-mail addresses. If both parties are happy to swap e-mail addresses, then you can bypass Ancestry, and talk directly via e-mail. This has the advantage of allowing you to send attachments if you want to.
Mick Loney

Re: DNA HELP PLEASE

Postby Grandma Jedi » Wed May 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Thank your for help with the information about DNA testing. I am a complete beginner with this so it is very useful.

The person who wants me to contact them, as a 4th cousin with high confidence, via e-mail or Ancestry has quoted the 65 cms over 4 segments match. I don't know where they acquired this information as I have only done one DNA test and that was with Ancestry.

Regards
Grandma Jedi
Grandma Jedi

Postby Mick Loney » Wed May 16, 2018 5:49 pm

If you haven’t uploaded your date to any other site ( which as an admitted novice, I really doubt), such as gedmatch.com, I’d really be interested in how he got the information. Any chance you can find out?
Mick Loney

Postby DianaCanada » Thu May 17, 2018 12:36 am

Ancestry does show this information, for example I share 2563 cMs across 61 segments with my brother, and even higher numbers with my daughter. We have all taken the test. Just tap the "i" for "info" under Predicted Family Relationship on the individial's match page.
DianaCanada

Postby Mick Loney » Thu May 17, 2018 6:52 am

Diana,
Thanks, I didn’t realise that, one learns something new every day.
Shame they don’t go a step further and detail where the matches occur, it would make triangulation so much easier! :D
Mick Loney

Postby DianaCanada » Thu May 17, 2018 9:27 am

Mick Loney wrote:Diana,
Thanks, I didn’t realise that, one learns something new every day.
Shame they don’t go a step further and detail where the matches occur, it would make triangulation so much easier! :D

What is interesting is that my brother has way more matches than I do and the cMs he shares with the closer matches can be quite different than mine.
I have an unknown grandfather and an unknown great great grandfather in the same line, and think I may have some leads on that. Confusing, though, I find my brain shutting down when I start working on the different possibilities!
DianaCanada

Return to General research queries