Moderator Control Panel ]

Tree on familysearch

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Tree on familysearch

Postby JaneyH » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:54 pm

I've tended to ignore the global great family tree on the familysearch website in the past as it is difficult to see how it's put together and sourced. However, I hadn't realised that some had photos and documents attached until today.

familysearch William Ferris.JPG
familysearch William Ferris.JPG (37.06 KiB) Viewed 183 times

I'm researching the Ferris family at the moment because they link to my 4x great-grandparents in Gloucestershire and also to two DNA matches I've recently had via Ancestry, so I'm busy trying to fill in lots of gaps. The four "memories" mentioned here are three photos (great in themselves, assuming they ARE William Ferris) but also a copy of his marriage certificate. This - crucially - shows he was a widower, and this was therefore his second wife and not his first. I've since found his first wife and a child by this marriage.

Needless to say I'm now paying much more attention to familysearch and hoping that it will allow me to speed through this branch!
JaneyH

Re: Tree on familysearch

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:20 pm

JaneyH wrote:... photos (great in themselves, assuming they ARE William Ferris) ...

That's a very important warning, Janey.

There's a set of trees (on Ancestry, as it happens, but the same applies anywhere) purporting to show a photo of a Timothy Windsor. Well, someone must have had a photo labelled Timothy Windsor and since (sarcasm alert) it's obvious that there's only one person in the UK by that name, well, this Timothy Windsor must be the one in the photo. Now, I can be quite scathing about this because the photo shows a soldier of about WW1 vintage while the guy in the tree would have been seriously old by the end of the 1800s, so the two simply don't match. But that's one that happens to be clear to me - what about the ones that aren't clear to me? Or people who don't realise that soldiers of the High Victorian era didn't wear dull khaki type uniforms?

"Buyer beware" - always....
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Genealogy chat