Moderator Control Panel ]

Regiment indentification help please

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Regiment indentification help please

Postby lproudfoot » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:02 pm

Is anyone able to help identify the regiment/ranks of the men in this photo?

I believe the man with the moustache to be my great great uncle Frederick John Jupp. I found services records for a man with this name from the same town but there were some discrepancies. It gave a different address as 1911 census (could have moved I thought) but gave wrong parents' names.

I'm hoping to find out the regiment/rank of the man above to see if this matches the service records, Royal Engineers, rank of Driver or Pioneer in other parts.

I have another great great uncle called Frederick Hurst, who was in the Rifle Brigade who died of wounds in 1917, I thought it could possibly be him instead.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Attachments
80dff812-845b-4206-95ee-422f9a0d20f5.jpg
Frederick John Jupp
80dff812-845b-4206-95ee-422f9a0d20f5.jpg (62.58 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
lproudfoot

Re: Regiment indentification help please

Postby Editor » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:30 am

Hi, we are planning on including this query in the magazine and we've just noticed that there is an arrow from one of the men saying 'Uncle Fred' but it isn't the man with the moustache. Is that a different 'Uncle Fred'? It just looks a bit confusing on the page!

Regards

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby lproudfoot » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:59 am

Hello

Thank you very much for this.

The arrow appears to go through the chap's eye and gets very faint above his right shoulder to the man with the moustache, at least that's what I've always believed.

I don't have the photo with me but could send you a higher res scan this evening or tomorrow morning.

Best wishes

Luke
lproudfoot

Postby Editor » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:11 am

So it does Luke! We may adjust the question to reflect that in the magazine. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Simon_Fielding » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:02 pm

Rifle Corps would have black buttons... I think the lanyard around the shoulder suggests Artillery or Engineers Driver but not 100%...
Simon_Fielding

Postby Simon_Fielding » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:29 pm

Looking at the right forearm of the seated soldier far left, might there be a small flag badge? Can't really tell if it is this or more photo damage....

Note from the online service records that Jupp also served with '28th Home Counties Divisional Signal Company' so this might fit...
Attachments
ww1-army-signaller-bullion-sleeve-badge.jpg
ww1-army-signaller-bullion-sleeve-badge.jpg (101.19 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
Simon_Fielding

Return to Photo identification