Moderator Control Panel ]

Pirie family in Scotland

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Pirie family in Scotland

Postby fhb » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:32 am

I did an Ancestry DNA test and I matched 4-6th cousin. I have built my tree back to a James PIRIE b circa 1795 Scotland from English 1841 census. He married Matilda BENNETT in Shadwell in 1828.

I then look at the tree of my match and they go back to an Alexander PIRIE b circa 1795 in Turriff Aberdeen.

When I check tha Ancestry Scottish births and the LDS Scottish Old Parish Records neither have an Alexander PIRIE born around that time in Turriff. However they do both have an Alexander PIRIE born in Boyndie at the right time to the same parents as a James PIRIE in the same parish, making them brothers.

This could be the DNA connection except that the Alexander Pirie of the match claims in the 1851census he was born in Turriff.

Like James Pirie he was a cooper

My question is - what does everyone think? Is the match's Alexander Pirie mistaken when he states his birth?
Francis

Sent from my SM-N9005 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
fhb

Re: Pirie family in Scotland

Postby fhb » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:58 am

I think I've just found the answer to my own wuestion. In the 1871 census James says he was born Scotland but his wife Matilda was born Turriff Aberdeen. So the scenario I am now looking at is that James & Alexander were both born in Turriff but Alex was not baptised there, which makes more sense than him making a mis-statement in each census!!

fhb

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:50 am

I am worried that you do not mention looking at the originals on ScotlandsPeople. It is just possible that the explanation may lie in the full text of the 2 baptism entries - FamilySearch can be vague with placenames, especially when a residence and parish are different.

Or.... Given that both were baptised in Boyndie, it might be that the family then moved to Turriff which is why James' wife comes from there and Alexander claims to come from there. (Hope that matches the info)

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby fhb » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:40 am

Thanks , I'll try that.

fhb

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:58 am

Incidentally if the Ancestry stuff that you're looking at is labelled "Select" something, then it's just a copy of the FamilySearch collection so isn't independent information.

My impression is that the ScotlandsPeople collections started with the FamilySearch indexes and added the images of the originals. The SP indexes may be different now if they've been corrected and/or improved.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby junkers » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:29 pm

I would rely on Scotland's People as the first stop and there is no guarantee that they were baptised/christened and the records of the churches that are not part of the Established Church of Scotland are generally not listed. The local family history society (The Aberdeen and North-East Scotland FHS) have lots of material and someone may have listed or indexed him, Pirie is not a good name to research, lots of them. DNA tests are all fine but that are not as accurate as actual research I would suggest.
junkers

Postby Sylcec » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:23 pm

Adrian said: [url]My impression is that the ScotlandsPeople collections started with the FamilySearch indexes and added the images of the originals.[/url]

Familysearch first indexed the Scottish OPR's innumerable years ago - and they were certainly the "go to" source of information from Scotland long before the Scotlands People website came about. In recent years I know that some re-indexing has taken place by Familysearch. Don't know if it is any more or less accurate though. While I don't know for sure, I don't believe that these indexes have been used on the SP website, but think they would have done their own indexing.
Sylcec

Return to General research queries