Moderator Control Panel ]

Order out of Chaos!!

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: Order out of Chaos!!

Postby meekhcs » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:39 pm

Mike

Thank you for all your help suggstions and guidance.You too Paul!

I am seeing my daughter the week after next and between us we will find a suitable laptop taking your suggestions into consideration, and back up all my files.

Meanwhile I will check out Family Historian and the cloud choices and go from there.

Thank you

Sally
meekhcs

Postby paulr1949 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:01 pm

Sally,

No problems - hope it's been helpful. Mike has covered most of the rest of what I would have said. I store my files on the cloud and back them up to a portable hard disk.

I believe I've seen somewhere, possibly on this forum, that you need to download ancestry images separately to the gedcom file, but I've not had to do that. I've recently gained guest access to a fourth cousins ancestry tree, and I've just downloaded a few of the images from there.

I am not very good at recording my sources as I go within Family historian-but every record I use which has an image available I will download (onto a cloud drive), the same with "non-image" files, I'll print them as a PDF and save them in the same area.

Good luck!

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby meekhcs » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:30 pm

Thanks for your help and suggestions Paul

Becoming lazy and haphazard, jumping from one person to another, and NOT recording all my sources has caused my "mess". Fortunately Our Direct lines were all in place and sourced before I left the straight and narrow. Although I am confident in my research, anyone trying to follow it would question some of my findings. Hopefully, someday in the future, someone will want to look at it, and I won't be around to explain it!! So nows the time for correction.

I followed the 6 week FutureLearn Genealogy course last year and it really brought home how lax I had become.

Sally
meekhcs

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat