Moderator Control Panel ]

WDYTYA Family Tree Maker 2006

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

WDYTYA Family Tree Maker 2006

Postby Lindaand4boys » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:46 pm

I finally have time to do some research, as family growing up. I have WDYTYA Family Tree Maker 2006 and not sure before I start entering all the data I have accumulated over the past couple of years, whether I should upgrade first.

I mainly use it as a computer record of my research, access to family trees etc and to give me a screen shot of the information I have. If I continue with 2006 will I encounter problems? If I upgrade would I be able to access info from my mobile phone, and would all my data all ready on the system be safe?

Finally I also need to make sure that the info on 2006 is backed up as not sure if general backing up of my computer includes this software.
Any help, advice or guidance would be much appreciated as keen to get back to my research now the boys will let me.
Lindaand4boys

Re: WDYTYA Family Tree Maker 2006

Postby Sylcec » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:28 pm

I don't have any recent experience with FTM - but frankly I think that a version which is now 12 years old might give you problems, particularly if you are running Windows 10 on your computer, or likely to upgrade to it.

If you are only about to start entering data to a family tree program, then I suggest that you download or otherwise obtain a current version of software. Many of the main ones offer free trial or cut down versions of their software to try out. One of the best fully functional ones is Legacy Family Tree which you can download here: https://legacyfamilytree.com/. If you like it, then you can pay the relatively low fee to upgrade to the deluxe version, but frankly you may well be happy with the standard for quite a while if you are just starting out.

Other list members may have different suggestions.
Sylcec

Re: WDYTYA Family Tree Maker 2006

Postby Lindaand4boys » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:17 pm

Thank you. I will consider this. I have a fair amount of data added, mostly dates, and a few pictures. I wanted to fill out the individual pages with photos, certificate information, so that I can access my information quickly rather than going through several lever arch files.
Also I now have an iphone 5 so it would be good if I could access information when I am visiting libraries, research places etc
Lindaand4boys

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat