Moderator Control Panel ]

Liz Bonnin's episode

Chat about the 13th edition of the UK genealogy series, which features Sir Ian McKellen, Danny Dyer, Amanda Holden and more

Liz Bonnin's episode

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:15 pm

Hello everyone!

At 8pm on Thursday 8 December, BBC One will be showing another brand-new episode of Who Do You Think You Are?, this time featuring science and wildlife presenter Liz Bonnin.

Unlike Danny Dyer and Amanda Holden's episodes, which didn't stray too far away from Blighty, Liz's genealogical adventure primarily takes place in the Caribbean, where she uncovers stories of love, religion and slavery.

As ever, please share your thoughts on the episode in the thread below.

Best wishes,
Jon
Jon Bauckham

Re: Liz Bonnin's episode

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:14 am

Loved it. Liz' attitude, questioning and knowledge were excellent, especially when compared to some of the other celebrities. I wouldn't have thought of the implications of the caste system if the family had stayed in India compared to what actually happened.

Admitted there was the usual "Look what's just turned up in the post" when you're convinced that the despatch of the package was all set up before, but it's difficult to see how else it can be done and still keep the story going. But it was great to see stuff other than the usual Ancestry / FMP censuses, etc.

As a synopsis said, the story kept wrong footing us. One slight disappointment - we never got to India.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby KayFarndon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:21 pm

I heartedly agree with your comments AdrianB38, it was a great programme. Lots of information I was unaware of and Liz certainly asked the right questions. This looks like being a good series, hopefully leaving us wanting more!
KayFarndon

Postby ksouthall » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:34 am

I enjoyed this episode because of the range of records they showed and the information they found out.
ksouthall

Postby brunes08 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:01 pm

I agree with all the comments so far. The programme provided an interesting insight into migration, slavery and some of the difficulties encountered by mixed-race families. Liz Bonnin's approach to it all was refreshing. It would be great to see a programme about her ancestors in India. Sometimes it is a shame to squidge such a lot into an hour that could better be spread over longer. C'est la vie!
brunes08

Postby Sylcec » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:45 am

Just watched this on Youtube - absolutely loved it! Had no idea who Liz Bonnin is, but the stories of her ancestors were fascinating. I did wonder about the Rawles though as well - were they Indian too and how did they get to Trinidad and have a rather English surname. What really, really impressed me though were those very detailed shipping records with so much information about the indentured labourers from India.
Sylcec

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2016