Moderator Control Panel ]

Find my past subscriptions

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Find my past subscriptions

Postby paulr1949 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:08 am

I've just had an email about these, saying (more or less) we've listened and matched our packages with what family historians want. Why am I always sceptical when I read something like that?
I've not investigated fully, but Britain and World subscriptions have been replaced with Plus and Pro. Whilst "plus" monthly subs now give access to the 1939 register, "plus" subs (same price as the old "Britain " sub) they no longer give access to the BNA-you have to have a "pro" package for that (£156 pa vs £120). Current subscribers can keep the ir options as now-but only if you auto-renew.

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Re: Find my past subscriptions

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:05 pm

To be quite honest, I always found it curious from a commercial viewpoint that the newspapers were bundled in with normal FMP. Apart from a slightly better search interface, why on earth would any genealogist subscribe to the British Library site? Could it be that the BL have leaned on them??

NB - you now don't need a World subs to access the Irish records, which was always a point of annoyance when compared to Ancestry, which did bundle UK & Irish together. So, if you're not on the top subs, you gain Irish records and lose all newspapers. Or keep your current subs.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby junkers » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:19 pm

When a company believes they have listened to researchers it is likely something is going to change and not for the good, usually an increase in subscriptions. I don't see the point in subscribing to something if you are not going to use it very often, why just not pay as and when you need to, the BNA is an example.
junkers

Postby TheViking » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:57 am

What site is better I used to be with Ancestry but then moved to find my past as I found alot in the newspaper side something that ancestry doesn't have unfortunately but then on the other hand find my past don't have many photos or members that you can contact
TheViking

Postby Nortonian » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:03 pm

Beware, even though I auto-renew and it is not due until August 2018 I can no longer access newspapers. I believed they would keep your existing subscription, surely this is not fair?
Nortonian

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:57 pm

I would complain - they made it clear that you would keep your existing access unless you requested a change, so if you had newspapers before, you should still have them. (Please shout if you think I got this wrong...)

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Sylcec » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:07 am

Not sure what this is about - but have just checked and I can access and search newspapers on my FMP world subscription.
Sylcec

Postby meekhcs » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:33 am

Sylvia

FMP have changed their subscription packages. They are now called Starter, Plus and Pro and they have moved availability of certain items to different packages. Your "old" world sub equates to the new Pro sub so you still have access to everything.

It is my understanding, from reading FMP's blurb, that if you have an auto renew sub then you should keep whatever access you have now with your current sub until you renew is due when, if you want access to say newspapers, you will need to upgrade to the Pro sub. It would appear from his post that Nortonian has lost access to newspapers now, even though his auto renew sub runs until August 2018.
meekhcs

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:27 am

Hm. That's not how I read it. From the FAQ:

If you want to stay on your current Britain subs, then you can and "You can keep renewing as long as you like" as long as you have auto renewal set.

I can't cut and paste for some reason - but the relevant stuff is at the bottom of the FAQ. I can't confirm my own access remains unchanged since I upgraded to a World a few months ago.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:18 am

Morning Adrian

I was quoting from my renewal email I received but have now read FAQ's............I have managed to copy and paste the relevant question/answer below.

"I want to stay on my current Britain or World subscription. Can I continue on my current package?
Answer:

Yes. You can choose to stay on your current monthly subscription or if you’d like to upgrade to one of our new packages then check out our FAQs about upgrading from your current package.

Don’t worry - if you wish to continue on your current Britain or World package, you don’t have to do anything! You can keep renewing for as long as you like; just make sure you've selected to auto-renew your subscription. Britain and World subscriptions are now only available to renewing customers and are no longer available to new customers. "

Sally
meekhcs

Next

Return to Genealogy chat