Moderator Control Panel ]

Peter Bailey (British in India)

Quiz genealogists, authors and staff from leading family history organisations in our weekly web chats. Post your questions in advance, or hop on each Friday afternoon to join the conversation live

Re: Peter Bailey (British in India)

Postby Sylcec » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:28 pm

MoVidger wrote:Hi again Sylvia and Peter,

Please disregard a bit of my earlier reply. I now realise where the discrepancy lies: you referenced an 1843 marriage record with the name spelled SIMSON. We were looking for the record against SIMPSON, out of habit. Coincidentally, the SIMPSON marriage we referenced was the exact same date as your SIMSON record, adding to the overall confusion! :o

Thanks to your helpful input, though, things are looking more clearer now.

We have since had a reply from the British Library, and they've confirmed that 'pensioned gunner' James Simpson and his wife Anthache did have a child in 1844 in Cuddalore. The baptism record definitely indicates James as a "pensioned gunner". So this baptism 'joins the dots' with the marriage record you found. (No other births have been found yet).

Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing if our Mary Simpson belongs to this family, but the fact she was born in Cuddalore in 1852 does hint at the possibility.

You mentioned additional records will be available for the Madras Artillery and Royal Artillery, with respect to James Simpson. Please could you point us in the direction of any online records? (We regularly search FIBIS, FMP, LDS and the BL). Are there more appropriate records we should be focusing our attention on? It would be interesting to investigate this James Simpson further.

Many thanks again!
Mo

Service records for British Army pensioners (Chelsea pensions, TNA series WO97) are available on-line using FMP. The Madras Artillery records are not on-line, but I do have access to microfilms of these at my local LDS Family History Centre, so will check for you later this week. (Original source of course is the B.L.)

Yes, I'm afraid that you may never know whether or not your Mary Simpson belongs to this family - although many British/European ancestries in India are able to be proven over many generations, a very large number are not, and can only be decided "on the balance of probabilities". If you want to know more about Cuddalore, then reading a gazetteer entry may help, see these pages in the Imperial Gazeteer of India here http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/pager.html?objectid=DS405.1.I34_V11_061.gif
Sylcec

Postby MoVidger » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:09 am

Hi Sylvia,

Thanks for the informative link re Cuddalore, as well as the offer to research 'pensioned gunner' James Simpson at your local LDS FHC. Any details you can locate for him would be fantastic.

Thanks again,
Mo
MoVidger

Postby Sylcec » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:15 am

MoVidger wrote:Hi Sylvia,

Thanks for the informative link re Cuddalore, as well as the offer to research 'pensioned gunner' James Simpson at your local LDS FHC. Any details you can locate for him would be fantastic.

My pleasure Mo - this is turning into a very interesting project. No answers yet, but a couple of possibilities. My suggestion then would be that you join FIBIS and make use of their research service to further investigate the following. I searched the Madras Soldiers Registers from 1843 back and found 2 entries:
1831 SIMPSON, James, Private European Regiment; Native Place: Lancaster; Term of Service: Life; Ship to India: Repulse in 1831. Remarks: Transf Feb '50 to Effective Supernumeries as Serjt Major - Road Sergeant. Volunteered in 1861 for General Service. Died 21 July 1866. Estate Rs1000 by will to his widow 30 July 1866. Casualty Roll 1867.
(Under his name in the register are the words "entered also in 1822". This record follows, but I am fairly certain that it is NOT the same man.)
btw: he died of the DTs and his wife's name was Agnes.

1822, SIMPSON, James Gunner 1s Bn Horse Artillery; Native place: Thurso, Caithness; Term: Life; Ship: Prince Regent 1822. Remarks: Pensioned 31 Dec 1833, Gr E.P. 1833; Emb. for Europe per Lady Flora 8 Feb 1834.

As a pensioned soldier this latter man more likely fits the description of the one who marries in 1842 - but did he really go back 'home' and if so, then he must have returned.

Good hunting! Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby MoVidger » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:53 am

Hi Sylvia,

Again, thanks so much for your investigative work! You're right, I think James Simpson (Serjeant, married to Agnes Milton) definitely isn't our man. But the other JS (gunner from Caithness) is looking rather possible. Any ideas what "Gr E.P." stands for?

Like yourself, I'm wondering if this JS really did go back home and if he did, why did he return to India? Hmm. Perhaps I'll purchase a few credits for Scotland's People and see what he got up to from 1834 to 1843 (if indeed he did return home). Obviously he married somewhere because he's shown as a "widower" on his 1843 marriage in Cuddalore.

As for his 2nd wife Anthache, she's listed as a "widow" as well. But I'm not turning anything up yet on LDS and FBIS -- using her married name Crowitch. In fact, she appears to be the only Crowitch on those databases so far. So the plot thickens.

In the meantime, we will look into joining FIBIS, as you suggest. I don't have any family in India, but as my friend does, it should be a worthwhile membership. (I'm half American, and so much of my own research tends to revolve around 17th-19th century American records).

Thanks again Sylvia for going above and beyond the call of duty....

Mo
MoVidger

Postby Sylcec » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:42 pm

Gr E P = Gunner European Pensioners (I think) !

The name of 2nd wife is most probably a mis-transcription of something, an error dating back to when the church records were first copied to be sent to England.

The answer possibly lies in deep research in the India Office Records - needing time and commitment to explore the possibilities and follow-up hunches!
btw: I didn't check the WO97 British Army Pensioners on Find My Past for a James Simpson in the right time and place. Suggest you do that to include or eliminate any other candidates.

Good luck!
Sylcec

Postby junepatrick delaney » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:22 pm

Dear Debra,
I think I can help with Henry's son Joseph and some of his descendants
junepatrick delaney

Previous

Return to Live web chats