Moderator Control Panel ]

Two Baptisms

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Two Baptisms

Postby Lmobbshill » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:30 pm

I am a little confused as to why my ancestors were baptised twice. My great great grandfather and his siblings were each baptised at St Peters in Nottingham and St Philips in Birmingham. For each child it happened at one location and then a couple of months later at the other (In no particular order). The family lived in Nottinghamshire but had family in Birmingham. This seems to be deliberately planned, as it happens with all the children born in Nottingham. Both Churches are of the same denomination. I do not think the first baptism is due to the child standing a chance of dying because sometimes Birmingham happens before Nottingham. I am completely perplexed!
Lmobbshill

Re: Two Baptisms

Postby ksouthall » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:49 pm

Perhaps so the Birmingham family could be there, or because they wanted it to take place in both family churches?
ksouthall

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:34 pm

Lmobbshill wrote:... I am completely perplexed!

You have every right to be! You covered my immediate thought with "Both Churches are of the same denomination".

My guess would be as KSouthall suggests - family reasons for wanting the Birmingham baptisms - maybe it was their old church? And Notts because it was their current parish?

If this was the full service in both places, then in fact, so far as I understand it, it shouldn't have happened according to Church practices - you don't ask God to accept this child twice, He heard you the first time! However, there is a point in the Anglican Order of Baptism where the priest asks if this child has already been baptised. If the answer is yes, then the order of service for that child skips forward, looping round the actual baptism. This question and loop forward is there to accommodate things like children being privately baptised at home. Quite whether the name of the child should be recorded in the baptism register in such a case, I'm not sure, but it does seem to happen. So it could be organised quite correctly with the priest that the 2nd service follows that pattern of the ceremony without the actual baptism.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ellentaylor64 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:31 pm

My first thought when I read your post was to wonder if your great-great-grandfather belonged to a Gypsy or travelling family (as mine did). It was not uncommon for these families to baptise their children more than once for various reasons. I refer you to the excellent book 'My Ancestors were Gypsies' by Sharon Sillers Floate pages 44-45. If this does not apply to you, then it is quite likely that the Birmingham baptisms took place because of family living there, as others have suggested.
ellentaylor64

Return to Genealogy chat