Moderator Control Panel ]

Lonely woman in Beirut CWGC Cemetery, Lebanon

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Lonely woman in Beirut CWGC Cemetery, Lebanon

Postby plot56 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:40 pm

All

I am currently photographing all the war graves in Lebanon and came across this woman in Beirut

I cant find any further details as to her history - there is a lot of interest locally and Im wondering if there is anyone ou there who could help me get some more background? GRO and usual sites all exhausted!

Josephine Tahhan
2990210 ACW 2nd Class
Women's Auxiliary Air Force

Died 17 Feb 1946, buried Beirut CWGC
plot56

Re: Lonely woman in Beirut CWGC Cemetery, Lebanon

Postby brunes08 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:00 pm

Like you, I have looked at many sites but only found the same detail as you have for Josephine. I recently obtained my late father-in-law's Royal Navy service records through the UK government web site. You may be able to obtain Josephine's by following the guidance. Just google 'application for 2WW service records'. Only follow the links for the UK govt site. You will be able to find the forms that can be downloaded. It did cost me £30 for my father-in-law's records but I feel it was money well spent for the amount of information that I received. Hope that is of some use.
brunes08

Postby MaureenE » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:34 am

Perhaps someone on WW2Talk Forum could assist
http://ww2talk.com/index.php
There is a category "Searching for Someone & Military Genealogy" for "Tracking down a family member, specific serviceman or unit"

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby ermin79 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:47 am

If you are still in Beirut it may be worth visiting the Centre des Archives Nationales (National archives of Lebanon). Their website contact page has a map or you could send them an email to see if they know of any sources which you could check.

http://www.can.gov.lb/contact_us.php?order=menu6

Their main website is http://www.can.gov.lb/index.php

Sent from my LG-K120 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
ermin79

Postby peter kent » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:54 am

According to the GRO War Deaths Index, her unit was listed as 107 MU.

From the National Archives catalogue, No 107 Maintenance Unit was "formed at Geneifa (later renamed Kasfareet), Egypt, December 1940; previously 'C' Squadron 103 MU"

National Archives file AIR 29/1038 may be worth reading if anyone happens to be there.
peter kent

Return to Military help