Moderator Control Panel ]

No Street Numbers

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

No Street Numbers

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:43 am

Can someone help me with this Local History query? My father was born in Walsingham in Norfolk in 1894. I know the family lived in the High Street at Walsingham. I checked electoral records but they just list the family as living at High Street, Walsingham.

Is there any way to discover which building they lived in? Street numbers don't seem to have been much of a feature in many villages. My grandfather was a hairdresser, so they may have lived above the shop. I obviously need some documents that would list former inhabitants. I don't think my grandfather was in a position then to buy property, so he was probably renting his accomodation.
FamilyHistoryAddict

RE: No Street Numbers

Postby Gordie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:53 pm

The appropriate records office/library might have something to tie him down.

Street or town/trade Directories often have all the names of people living in nearby villages.
Gordie

Postby Gordie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:16 am

Just remembered Addict,

Some trade directories are available on this site. Good luck.

[link=http://www.historicaldirectories.org/]http://www.historicaldirectories.org/[/link]

[image]local://30/556E6E89DBFC4BA580EE9DAC430D7695.jpg[/image]
Gordie

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:26 am

Thanks Gordie for your helpful reply but the directories only tell me what I already know.

When I walk though Walsingham I look at the buildings and just wish I knew which one my father lived in and was perhaps born in. Just having High Street, Walsingham doesn't really pin it down for me!

All the best,

FHA [;)]
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby julianb » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:56 am

Hallo FHA, glad to see you're spreading your wings beyond FHMag!

My only suggestion is that Alan Godfrey maps sell reproduction ordnance survey maps - 1:2500 scale - which show some street numbers on them (which could enable you to pin down to a choice of 2/3 houses). This might be worth exploring

JULIAN
julianb

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:20 am

Hi Julian,

I'm wondering if things like rate books might exist for Walsingham for this period (saw them featured on WDYTYA in Griff Rhys Jones episode). It might be another option worth exploring. [;)]
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby Guy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:16 am

I assume you have tried the earlier 1891 census and there is no mention of the family?
Perhaps the census makes mention of any barber in Walsingham which may give a clue to location.
What about later census, did the family move before the 1901?
Cheers
Guy
Guy

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:06 am

Hi Guy,

Thanks for your interest and help. Unfortunately the family were only in Little Walsingham for a short period (after the 1891 census and then they moved back to nearby Wells Next the Sea after 1896.)

Grandfather had four children including my father - all were born at Walsingham apart from the last one who was born at Wells.

From my notes:

Hairdresser at Walsingham High Street (1891- 1896)

Bet. 1895 - 1896 Moved to another house in High Street, Little Walsingham (Electoral Records)
Bet. 1897 - 1926 Hairdresser at Freeman Street, Wells Next The Sea (Census Records, Directories and Birth Certificates)

I know where the Wells Next the Sea House is because it has been pointed out to me by my Mother and I have deeds from the Wells House, so I know that is the correct house. But the houses where they lived in Walsingham are completely unknown to me. All I know is that they were in the High Street. The High Street houses have shops with accomodation above which is what I suspect they lived in (Grandfather being a Hairdresser).
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby sparrow hawk » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:43 am

Hi FHA,
Have you looked on 1901 census for Walsingham, to see if there is any indictation of hairdressers shops on the High Street, because sometimes other hairdressers took over when one left to go elsewhere.
Just an Idea,
Sparrow hawk
sparrow hawk

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:00 am

I'll check that out Sparrow Hawk - thanks! [:)]

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Next

Return to Local history