Moderator Control Panel ]

Alex Norris

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Alex Norris

Postby julieb70 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:17 am

Hi all, I have a BRICK wall with my great grandfather. He came to the US in the early 1890's with an order brother named Joseph supposedly from Sweden. His name is Alexander Norris born 1883. They came to PA possibly and stayed with family, and lived in WI, MI, and IL.
Alexander married my great grandma Winnie Izona Walker in 1907 in Montgomery County Illinois and my grandpa was born 1909 same county and then Alexander died in 1912 in Litchfield IL after a coal mining accident in Taylor Springs IL.
I have found the marriage and death information, however I can't find ANY info on him before he married Izona in 1907 so I know nothing about him as a person, his family, or where he is really from. Can anyone point me in a direction???

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
julieb70

Re: Alex Norris

Postby Rosemary Collins » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi,

I've moved this topic to General Research.

Thanks,

Rosemary
Rosemary Collins
Editorial Assistant
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine
Rosemary Collins

Alex Norris

Postby brunes08 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:41 pm

I've not had to carry out family research in them them but I understand that the US census was completed every 10 years from the late 18th century. Have you found any information in the relevant census years for Alexander and Joseph that would help? Also, is there any detail on his marriage certificate that could shed any light? Any thing, no matter how small, may help us to help you.
brunes08

Postby MoVidger » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:51 pm

If Alexander was indeed Scandinavian, could he have changed his name to 'Alexander Norris' by the time he married? If so, perhaps he can be found using his original name in the 1900 census. Have you found him (with wife and son) in the 1910 census?
MoVidger

Postby sdup26 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:55 pm

In the 1910 US census, Izona is shown with son Howard, whose father's birthplace is given as 'Russia' but Alexander's death notice in the Montgomery News says he was born in Sweden.
I'm sure MoVidger is right and he'd changed his name by the time of his marriage. Presumably you've checked naturalisation records?
sdup26

Postby JMcK » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:32 am

someone (It might be you?) on Ancestry has a naturalisation record they have attributed to Alex Norris

Axel E Nordquist from Sweden-Norway
Date of Nat April 2 1892

But, it looks as though Axel E Nordquist carries on with that name, and he is alive in 1930

Have you found Alex in 1910? He isn't with his wife and son.
JMcK

Postby JMcK » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:37 am

brunes08 wrote: Also, is there any detail on his marriage certificate that could shed any light? Any thing, no matter how small, may help us to help you.

Have you done this as per advice on the Montgomery Co website

"Should you wish to receive a copy of the actual marriage license and all supplemental documents (marriage application, father's consent, etc.) which contain much family history information, please download, print and complete the Request Form below and mail it to our office (our address and fees are included on the form), and a certified copy will be promptly sent to you."
JMcK

Return to General research queries