Moderator Control Panel ]

Digitised FamilySearch microfilms

Found any online record sets or tools that have helped your family history research? Share your discoveries here

Digitised FamilySearch microfilms

Postby MaureenE » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:15 pm

Seen on the India Rootsweb Mailing List, advice that Family Search microfilms will no longer be able to ordered after 31 August 2017.

The FamilySearch blog which advised this is https://familysearch.org/blog/en/microf ... t-31-2017/ which states:
The last day for ordering microfilm will be August 31, 2017.
FamilySearch has now digitally reproduced the bulk of its microfilm collection, with over 1.5 billion images available online. The digitization of remaining microfilms is expected to be completed by 2020.
Family history centers around the world will continue to provide access to relevant technology, premium subscription services, and digital records.

This could be quite a blow for India related research for up to three years, as there must be hundreds if not thousands of India related microfilms which have not yet been digitised, and may not be available until 2020. However, it will be great once they are digitised.

Cheers
Maureen

Edited title - (previous title: FamilySearch microfilms discontinue 31 August 2017)
Last edited by MaureenE on Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaureenE

Re: FamilySearch microfilms discontinue 31 August 2017

Postby WarksAncestors » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:38 am

I wonder how many people still use them? Perhaps that is their reasoning?
Researching Cooke,Brant,Agar,Clarke,Morris,Cufflin,Battersby,Davie,Broadhurst,Barlow and more in Leicestershire
WarksAncestors

Postby MaureenE » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:47 am

An update.

Some microfilms have already been digitised. You can access these through the Family Search catalogue search. https://familysearch.org/catalog/search
If they have been digitised there is a camera icon.

By clicking on the camera icon, you can see whether the access is unrestricted - these you can view on your home computer. Alternatively, the access may be restricted - these records you can only view at a FamilySearch Family History Centre, on a FamilySearch computer.

If the records originate from an institution such as the British Library, or the National Archives, Kew, the records will be restricted. This included some books filmed from the British Library, even though they are out of copyright.

The unrestricted records I saw were from microfilms filmed in India of Church registers there.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:55 pm

Maureen,
You'll be pleased to know that there ARE many UK register available for browsing, not just Indian!

As you say though, many are only available at Family History Centres, but nothing ventured, nothing gained and the church you want to browse may be one of those that are available. For example, many of Warrington, St Elphins' registers are currently available.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby Guy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:56 pm

The discontinuation of microfilm is not simply a whim but a decision forced on the LDS.
The simple fact is that it is now almost impossible to buy new microfilm stock to reproduce the existing microfilm masters.
When the LDS discovered the manufacturers were discontinuing producing stock film they bought up as much film as they could. This has nearly run out now.

The masters cannot be sent out for use in the Family History Centers as each time they are used they are damaged slightly, they are therefore kept pristine until they can be digitised.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Re: Digitised FamilySearch microfilms

Postby MaureenE » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:48 am

I have changed the title of this topic.
Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Re: Digitised FamilySearch microfilms

Postby MaureenE » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:29 am

I have added what information I can find about digitized microfilms , some of which can be viewed on your home computer, others only at a FamilySearch Centre, to the FIBIS Fibiwiki page FamilySearch Centres
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/FamilySearch_Centres.
Some microfilms have not yet been digitised, but if you are interested in one not currently available, you can request that it be given priority.

I have had problems with the viewing, and I started a topic on the Family Search feedback page called "Digitised microfilm - Plea for faster reader, including for digitised books".

There is also another current topic “Sudden problems viewing a digitized collection”.

The Family Search feedback page is reached through a link at the bottom of the Family Search website, https://familysearch.org . You do need to register to add comments, perhaps even to view existing topics.

If you have experienced problems, I urge you to add your comments to one of these topics, with information as to the particular records accessed, time accessed including time zone, your operating system, browser etc in the hope that more information will lead to the problems being resolved.

The conclusion I draw is that you need a very fast internet connection, which needs to be accessed at a time of low demand, so that you have a fast connection when actually viewing the digitised microfilms.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Return to Useful resources