Moderator Control Panel ]

alfred james parfitt - take2 which regiment

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

alfred james parfitt - take2 which regiment

Postby meekhcs » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:32 pm

another photo of Grandpop to perhaps establish which regiment he served in during WW2.

Thank you Sally
Attachments
family 046.jpg
family 046.jpg (43.47 KiB) Viewed 2727 times
meekhcs

Re: alfred james parfitt - take2 which regiment

Postby ColinB » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:23 pm

Hi Sally ,

The arm badge in this photo looks like it could be the badge for an NCO in the Royal Artillery but the badge in the other photo doesn't look like an artillery badge at all . My own father was in the RA in WW2 and his cap badges don't look like your picture . Here is a link to some images :

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=royal+ ... 00&bih=805

The badge usually features a wheel and gun.

Sorry - this isn't much help !

Colin
ColinB

Postby meekhcs » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:54 pm

Colin

Sorry in my haste I did not add the following annotations.

In the previous, earlier photo, I believe it shows him in the Hampshire Yeomanary uniform

The summer uniform in this attachment is I believe of the Royal Artillery

Sadly I don't have his military number so I am somewhat stumped.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby ColinB » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:13 pm

I had a look at Hampshire Yeomanry on Wikipedia . These paragraphs sound like they might fit your Grandpop's circumstances :

World War I

During the First World War The Hampshire Yeomanry (Carabiniers) had formed as 3 regiments of which the First Regiment (1/1st) part of the 1st South Western Mounted Brigade, departed for France and saw action in Messines, the Somme, Arras, Ypres, and Flanders. The war had proved that the need for cavalry was limited in trench warfare so the regiment re roled into an Infantry Regiment and became the 15th Battalion, The Hampshire Regiment until the end of the war. The Second Regiment (2/1st) moved to Ireland and converted to a cyclist unit in 1916 and the Third Regiment (3/1st) stayed in the United Kingdom and converted to infantry at the same time as the first regiment.[7]

" Between the wars

During the 1920s The Hampshire Yeomanry, was reformed as a single yeomanry regiment, the war and trench warfare had proved the decline of the cavalry, it was decided that the most junior Yeomanry Regiments would be re reoled as artillery the Hampshire Yeomanry was re roled as an Artillery Regiment they amalgamated with the Hampshire Royal Horse Artillery to become the 95th (Hampshire Yeomanry) Field Brigade, Royal Artillery.

The Second World War

At the end of the 1930s when war with Germany was again imminent, it was decided that the 95th Brigade would become an Anti Aircraft Artillery Regiment and was redesignated the 72nd (Hampshire) Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery in which one battery, 217 H.A.A. Battery, was designated the "Hampshire Caribineers". On the outbreak of war they were deployed to protect the docks and staging areas along the South Coast. By 1942, once the Battle of Britain was over, the Regiments was transferred overseas and served in the North African and Italian Campaigns with the 8th Army."

Colin
ColinB

Postby meekhcs » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:33 pm

Again thanks Colin, I had read the info before, albeit a while ago,I just can't get at his service records at the moment, and don't have his service number. I have checked then FMP RA records bur he doesn't appear. I have also checked the London Gazette but again nothing.I popped the photos on here to check that I had the correct Regiment.
Cheers Sally
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:37 pm

Received Grandpop's service records today. He was in the Royal Artillery, heavy AA and transferred to REME in 1945. Served in Africa and Italy and was mentioned in Dispatches.
Sally
meekhcs

Postby stevefizz » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:28 am

Hi

I think he was in the 217 as was my Grandad

217 H'. A. A. Battery

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7bVz0hCnuJ26cW9F2
stevefizz

Postby meekhcs » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:50 pm

Stevefizz

Thank you for the photo yes that is my Grandfather. What book is this part of and where did you find it please and do you know which year it refers to?

Since I started this post I have received Grandpop's service records but the quality is not good and I haven't updated his details on my tree yet. However everything is packed away as we are about to move house so I cannot access anything. I have several group photos and maybe your Grandfather is them. I will be in touch the other side of the move.

Regards Sally
meekhcs

Return to Photo identification