Moderator Control Panel ]

Who Do You Think You Are? US 2014 Series

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

Who Do You Think You Are? US 2014 Series

Postby ksouthall » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:54 pm

As it's the start of the summer holidays, I thought I'd watch an old episode. Having watched the UK series, I thought I'd look at a US episode and decided to watch the one with Rachel McAdams even though I don't know much about her.

Rachel and her sister came over to Plymouth to investigate their mother's family. They saw a copy of their great-grandfather's birth certificate which named his father as William Henry Creber Gale, son of William Gale and Elizabeth Creber. I checked my family tree and found an Elizabeth Gale who was a widow living with her brother Walter King Creber in the 1861 England & Wales Census.

This is the first time ever I have found a distant link to one of the people on WDYTYA.
ksouthall

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? US 2014 Series

Postby Sylcec » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:02 am

Well done Katherine - are you going to try and get in touch with the celeb to share your links?
How did you get to watch the US series - is it on Youtube?
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby ksouthall » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:44 pm

Hello Sylvia,

Yes I watched it on Youtube. The US episodes are shorter and don't seem to go into quite as much depth as the UK ones. I haven't seen enough of the Australian series to compare that.

I wasn't planning to contact the celebs. I was just pleased that, after all these years, I have finally seen a connection to my family on one of the programmes.

According to my family tree, Rachel McAdams and her sister are my 6th cousin, once removed, so very distantly related.

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby Sylcec » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:48 am

6th cousin - yes, very distant!

I am sure you would enjoy some of the Australian episodes of WDYTYA which are much closer in quality/depth to the UK ones. A re-run of the last series was just completed last night - Andrew Denton traced Jewish roots in England, Poland, and included visit to Treblinka death camp. A new series starts next Tuesday with actor Geoffrey Rush as the subject.
Sylcec

Postby ksouthall » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:47 am

Hello Sylvia,

I watched the Cathy Freeman episode a few years ago but it is very difficult to watch the Australian series over here. I have tried Youtube but haven't been able to find it. If anyone has any tips on how to watch them, that would be very helpful.

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby paulr1949 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:22 pm

Katherine
Try
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x32hgs ... OG_HTML5=1
They seem to have quite a few Aussie episodes ;-)
Paul
paulr1949

Postby ksouthall » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:05 am

Thanks Paul. I'll try that link when I get time.
ksouthall

Postby paulr1949 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:33 am

Just to say that I watched that episode last night, it worked fine *and* they've removed the adverts! It was very interesting dealing with one side of the family from Ireland and the other from Germany

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby ksouthall » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:45 am

Hello Paul,

I watched the Geoffrey Rush episode and also found it interesting. I liked the way they focused on two ancestors with similar resilience but completely different backgrounds.

I also watched the David Wenham episode which focused on his father's fostering out and his grandparents' marriage and divorce. Although it didn't go back more than a couple of generations, I felt that the amount of history covered plus the interesting story, made it good viewing.

However, for those viewers who want to go back several generations, skimming over the detail of people's lives, these episodes may not be for you.

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby paulr1949 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:57 pm

Just to say that you can no longer watch any of the SBS Australian episodes now if you don't live in Australia, but many of them are on YouTube

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat