Moderator Control Panel ]

Miriam Morse GRO index revisited

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Miriam Morse GRO index revisited

Postby JMcKinnon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:27 pm

As I previously posted I cannot find Miriam Morse ( born 1862 Sept qtr. Bristol vol 6A page 4 according to the free BMD) on the GRO site.

I have three times reported it as missing and three times they have responded that the index is correct, that no amendment is required.

I still cannot see it. What can I be doing wrong?

As previously pointed out by Ianbee none of the others with the same reference are there either ( except now Charlotte Biggs who was missing but someone else must have reported).

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JMcKinnon

Re: Miriam Morse GRO index revisited

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:12 pm

Well I can't see it.

If you are convinced that they are understanding the problem correctly, i.e. that the problem is with the index on the https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp link, then I think you need to explain that you still can't find it and ask them to specify the search parameters that will bring up the entry as they claim.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby JMcKinnon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:28 pm

Ok, I've done that. Fingers crossed.

JMcKinnon

Postby ianbee » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 pm

FreeBMD may have a couple of errors for births, Sep 1862, 6a 4
They have transcribed Margaret Trace Edwards twice (once erroneously as Margaret Price Edwards)
And Charlotte Biggs twice, on page 4, but also page 54, and there is only one entry on the image (terrible image they were transcribing from, and if you look for Biggs births that quarter on FreeBMD you can see they have double entried most of them!)
Anyway, the new GRO index has Charlotte on page 54.
The GRO site appears to have the names on page 3, including Minnie Ellen Morse, and page 5 (I haven't put them all in!) But still, I fear, none of those on page 4.
I'm not sure they are going to be willing or able to remedy that if the births on page 4 were missed by the DoVE project.
Ian
ianbee

Postby JMcKinnon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:12 am

Update.
I am going to have to pay the money. See screen shot of the last two responses from the GRO
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1505351530.076350.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1505351530.076350.jpg (117.89 KiB) Viewed 638 times

JMcKinnon

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:42 am

How annoying and how utterly incompetent as customer service. They fail totally to explain what index is correct and whether the data is omitted and should be, present and should be but inaccessible through the new interface, etc etc.

I guess that if you believe the FreeBMD index and you want the certificate, then, as I think you imply, you're going to have to send for it through the old system of just requesting a certificate with a given reference.

But it really is annoying, their response. Personally I'd look for some sort of escalation route, especially if you do get a certificate back with that reference.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Mick Loney » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:57 am

I wonder if there are unseen 'rogue' characters somewhere in their index, that is preventing a match! I have found occasions where I search for a person with a forename with no result appearing. Yet search on just their surname and the entry appears, forename spelt as expected. I can only assume the forename has something 'extra' in it, not visible to the eye! So for them to say index is correct may be mis-leading, when what they mean is the index entry 'looks' correct. - just a thought

Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:27 am

It's a possibility, Mick, though I thought that searches had been sufficiently loose to preclude that possibility. But your suggestion does highlight the problems with their abysmal response - which index does not require correction, accessed how and what is the value(s) that they say don't need correction?

:evil:

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Mick Loney » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:46 am

You say the searches were suffieciently loose, but as they insist on at least a surname, if the problem is in the surname you'll never find Miriam!
It really is a shame they don't allow wildcards. They really are picky with their search criteria, and makes it nigh impossible to find people if their surname has been spelt phonetically, as their 'phonetic' search option is pretty pathetic.

Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:14 pm

IanBee had done some checks on other entries supposedly on that page and said:

The GRO site appears to have the names on page 3, including Minnie Ellen Morse, and page 5 (I haven't put them all in!) But still, I fear, none of those on page 4. I'm not sure they are going to be willing or able to remedy that if the births on page 4 were missed by the DoVE project

That's what I was thinking of. But you are perfectly correct in general about the limitations of their search.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Next

Return to General research queries