Moderator Control Panel ]

More WW1 Uniform Queries

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

More WW1 Uniform Queries

Postby paulwatson30 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:07 pm

Hello Everyone, I wonder if anyone could help me identify the units my great-uncles served in in WW1, five of the six brothers in one picture. These are the Watson brothers of Willington, County Durham, all apparently serving in different units, two of them Scottish and one apparently a kilted Highland unit.
The brothers are I believe (clockwise from bottom left) Septimus (b1899 - must have lied about his age!) Fred, Harry, Joseph, John. John I think has the hunting horn cap badge of the Durham Light Infantry. Fred and and Sep's badges are visible but I know nothing about them. Fred, Sep and John wear a braided cord at their left shoulder and in the original picture you can see Sep and possibly John are wearing riding breeches. Sadly John and Joseph (the two oldest) are believed not to have survived.
Attached also are other pictures of Sep.
Five_brothers_v3_compressed.jpg
Five_brothers_v3_compressed.jpg (253.25 KiB) Viewed 4026 times
Three_brothers_crop.jpg
Sep, with Walter (left, too young to serve) and Fred
Three_brothers_crop.jpg (244.59 KiB) Viewed 4023 times
Sep_crop.jpg
Sep_crop.jpg (144.79 KiB) Viewed 4020 times
paulwatson30

Re: More WW1 Uniform Queries

Postby the-merry-porter » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:50 pm

The capbadge Septimus is wearing is that of the Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment). I have checked on Ancestry's website and there is a Medal Index Card for Private Septimus Watson, No. 97992, Notts & Derby Regiment. He was entitled to the British War and Victory Medal. It is possible that as Septimus was born in 1899 he was conscripted into the army at the age of 18 and so did not join up underage. I have checked the family on the 1901 Census and am I right in assuming that Fred, who is wearing the Royal Artillery capbadge, full name was Charles Frederick and Harry's was Herbert Henry. John would appear to be wearing the Durham Light Infantry capbadge but unfortunately I can't identify the other two.

the-merry-porter
the-merry-porter

Postby paulwatson30 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:11 pm

Merry Porter, thank you for your help, that's wonderful.

You do have the right family. The 1901 census entry for Fred is apparently incorrect, he was actually Frederick Charles - see the 1911 census entry.

The identities I have assigned to the brothers are actually more speculative than I've made them sound. I am giving my best guess based on the information I have and what I can see in the pictures. Septimus is the only definite identification, along with Walter in the second picture.
My father believes that the brother top left in the 1st picture is the same man as is seated at right in the second, and was Fred or Harry. I think Harry, as he wears a ring. Harry married 1914 and Tom 1915, Fred not till 1919. The order of brothers from the oldest was John George, Joseph Hoggett, Tom, Harry, Fred and Sep (followed by Walter in 1901 and William, my grandfather in 1903). The soldier top centre in the first picture looks older than the brother top left, so on reflection I think it's actually Tom. The two brothers at right both look older to me so I'm speculating that they are John (b1882) and Joseph (b1884), also that they might have been posed with the oldest (John) next to the youngest (Sep). I knew Sep could have enlisted normally in 1917, but I noticed he'd already had a promotion...It is thought that John and/or Joseph died in the war, which I'm inclined to believe as noone has memories of them, though Tom, Harry, Fred and Sep are well remembered (Harry lived till 102). For this reason I'd love to know John and Joseph's units and anything else about them so as to discover their fate and/or burial details and pay my respects - Paul
SepAndMary_crop.jpg
SepAndMary_crop.jpg (145.89 KiB) Viewed 3975 times
paulwatson30

Postby ehollis657 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:41 pm

Re caps/badges - probably you already know 2 brothers standing wear the glengarry of the Tyneside Scottish, Northumerland Fusiliers.
From ‘Ancestry’ we have: Septimus Watson No. 22/1650 Northumberland Fusiliers (WW1 Medal Roll).
Also Herbert Henry Watson No. 382369 Labour Corps (WW1 Service Record (Burnt)) (seated right ?) and Walter A Watson No. 318461 Royal Garrison Artillery (standing).
In 1911 the Watson family, comprising the widow Mary Isabella and six sons, namely Thomas (21) Herbert Henry (19) Frederick Charles (15) Septimus (12) Walter Adamson (9) and William (8), resided at 1 Cooperative Terrace, Willington.
The 'braided cords' are called lanyards. Good luck with your research. (My 2x great gran was a Watson from Wolsingham)
ehollis657

Postby hqn06i » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:38 pm

I have got an embroidered card from Septimus in France to his sweetheart embroidered with 'I Love you' and a note on the back as follows:

"I am sending you these two cards 165.0 Pte Sep Watson attached to RE Signallers 48. Infantry Brde. BEF France. Hoping you will get them . Well I think this is all at present from your loving sweetheart Sep. With the best of luck to all"

I hope this helps in some way.

If the Watson family would like the card please send name and address details and I will send it to you.

Good luck.
hqn06i

Postby ritah » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:18 pm

This is a wonderful discovery! It may well be that the family might not pick up your post so long after the original query but if you log in and click on the'PM' (private message) symbol you can send a message to them directly by email.
ritah

Return to Photo identification