Moderator Control Panel ]

Lulu's episode

Discuss the 14th series of the award-winning television programme, which will feature Charles Dance, Clare Balding, Fearne Cotton and more

Lulu's episode

Postby Rosemary Collins » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:29 am

Hello everyone!

I'm returning to the exciting world of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine after my summer holiday, and the TV programme is returning this week after a short break for the World Athletics Championships.

The next episode airs at 8pm on Thursday 17 August on BBC One - note the slightly earlier broadcast time. It stars famous Sixties singer Lulu, whose quest to find out why her mother was given up for adoption leads to her uncovering family secrets in her home city of Glasgow.

As ever, please share your thoughts on this thread!
Rosemary Collins
Staff Writer
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Re: Lulu's episode

Postby junkers » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:26 pm

I liked the programme although I would have liked to know what happened to Hugh Cairns at the end of his life. Its nice to see a celebrity do some of their own research.
junkers

Postby Tabithabenef » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:51 pm

I Like Lulu and the fact she was doing some of her own investigating. Pleased she went to the grave.

I didn't think it very interesting - it stayed on one person far too long and you could have snipped it down a bit instead of spending so much time on in and out of prison & the workshop - less than 5 min conversation. Move on to a more interesting topic - like Great grandma & female orange order.

Not one i would watch on a repeat.

Have to say finding the WDYTYA USA series a lot more interesting (at the moment)
Tabithabenef

Postby KayFarndon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:17 pm

I did not find this an entertaining episode. They did not get beyond 1900 and once again it was more of what one person did, rather than going down a line.

I wanted Lulu to wear glasses and not have all these shots of her peering through a magnifying glass. Totally unnecessary and I did not think it was good television.
KayFarndon

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:06 pm

My paper had given it a bit of a downbeat preview so maybe I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. It covered a decent range of source documents and was an object lesson in the need to go beyond just the BMD certificates, wherever possible, to get the real story.

If there was one aspect that I felt short changed by, it was the question of how much influence the Orange Order had in Glasgow. Certainly I knew that there was a pretty serious religious divide in Glasgow (as there had been in Liverpool, which came out in Ricky Tomlinson's story) but I was left unclear how bad it was - and I think back to David Tennant's story, several years ago, when he came away with a very ambivalent view of the Orange Order in Northern Ireland, thanks to the Troubles, etc. Possibly not the sort of analysis that could be done in a WDYTYA slot and certainly it was given a starter by the story of Lulu's grandparents.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Daisy Isabella » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:44 am

I had mixed feelings about this episode. It was good to find out about the fostering records and the prison records. I was irritated by the Lulu wearing a baseball cap for much of the programme as it tended to obscure her face. It would have been helpful to have gone back a generation on her grandfather's side of the family. Was he the only one of his family to get into trouble or was he the black sheep? There was no mention of what happened to him either. The material was there for the episode to have been better than it was.
Daisy Isabella

Postby meekhcs » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:52 pm

Enjoyed this episode in that it looked to answer the question Lulu asked concerning her Mum's "adoption" by staying on topic.
Would have liked more on the orange order and what happened to her Father Hugh Cairns?
Overall however, there was not enough time to delve into the single question posed, fully,which just goes to show how many trails have to be follwed in order to obtain a complete picture to answer a single question properly.
A nice touch that visiting the grave also pointed out where her Grandma was buried as well.
meekhcs

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2017