Moderator Control Panel ]

Craig Revel Horwood's episode

Discuss the 14th series of the award-winning television programme, which will feature Charles Dance, Clare Balding, Fearne Cotton and more

Craig Revel Horwood's episode

Postby Rosemary Collins » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:34 am

Hello everyone!

The second episode of Who Do You Think You Are? will air at 9pm on BBC One on Thursday 13 July.

It stars Strictly Come Dancing judge Craig Revel Horwood as he traces his Australian ancestors and discovers that he's not the first dancer in his family.

We'd love to hear how you enjoy this episode - please share your thoughts in the thread below!
Rosemary Collins
Staff Writer
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Re: Craig Revel Horwood's episode

Postby Amazinggrace » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:22 pm

As I am not a fan of Mr. Horwood, I was surprised how much I enjoyed the episode.
The clog dancing was a hoot.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby CP3755 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:24 am

Fantastic episode once again and, good to see Elmdon, Essex was mentioned. The Tinworths & Gamgees are distant cousins of my husband. I wasn't aware of the Craig Revel Horwood connection before yesterday's programme. How about introducing DNA test results into a new series of WDYTYA? It might help the general public understand the benefits.
CP3755

Postby junkers » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:21 pm

I thought it was ok, but I was astounded that he was unaware what an 'ag lab' was and it was of course Imperial (£SD) and not Decimal Currency in the document.
junkers

Postby Wahian » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:25 pm

Was interesting to learn of his gt gt grand dad Harry M Shaw ( Michael Henry Macklin Shaw, b1840?) who'd emigrated from Ashton Under Lyne, Lancs. where I was born and family was there way back through the 1800s. Perhaps they'd worked at the same cotton mills Harry and his family did, and also coal mines in the area? If my family wasn't working in the mills, they were down the mines,until WW1 started.
Wahian

Postby Happy Seagull » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:05 pm

Fascinating episode, which became more interesting when I later found my connection to Elmdon.

My Camp and Warren families lived there (Nathan Warren appears on the same sheet of the 1841 census as the Tinworths), and I'm trying to tie in the Gamgee connection (via James Camp?).

Is a tree diagram available for this episode?
Happy Seagull

Postby brunes08 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:15 pm

Why was junkers so surprised that Craig didn't know what an ag lab was? I have met many people starting out on their family history who did not know either. They often do not know the historical context of the time or the social history. If he was told that the individual in question was an agricultural labourer he would have understood. Why would he have necessarily known the abbreviation.? We all pick up bits of information as we go along through life. What we know today, we may not have known yesterday, a week ago, a year ago.
brunes08

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2017