Moderator Control Panel ]

Uniform Identification

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Uniform Identification

Postby sarahcoy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:56 pm

Could anyone tell me anymore about this uniform please.

I believe this gentleman was born in 1894 but that is not definite. He lived in Bampton, Westmorland.

Many Thanks

Sarah
Attachments
scan0001.jpg
scan0001.jpg (209.49 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
sarahcoy

Re: Uniform Identification

Postby Sylcec » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:57 am

There's no insignia (cap badges etc) that I can identify, but note he is wearing shorts, and the presence of a solar topee on the table. He was probably posted to a warm climate - India or Egypt - when this was taken.
Sylcec

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:21 am

As Sylvia says - nothing to identify a regiment.

British Army, rank of private or equivalent (they had different names for the rank sometimes), hot weather gear. He's not a mounted soldier looking at his boots. It may be the early part of WW1 or before - I am NOT sure - as he wears a canvas (?) webbing belt. That style was introduced early in the 1900s but they couldn't keep up with the demand at the start of WW1 and reverted to leather, which was not popular - I wonder if it wasn't cured properly? (Holds nose) However I'd want to check other photos - webbing may have continued in use in some degree.

Sent from my MotoG3
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Jethro Tull » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:39 am

Hi.
As already mentioned, there is no obvious insignia to identify who or when this chap served, any other pictures may help.
I think though it is ww1 issue tropical pith helmet and the band along the side is possibly an indicator the chap served with some of the Empire troops, Australian etc.
Hope it helps
Dan.

Sent from my SM-G900F using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Postby MaureenE » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:04 am

It may be possible to identify the regiment by the flash (insignia) on the side of the sun helmet.

There is a thread called “Early Artillery Flash” on the British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum. Page 1, post 11 shows some flashes in full colour, although the regiments are not named.
The flash fourth from the bottom, shows dark blue and gold, and looks to me as though it could be the flash on the side of the helmet above.

Possibly this is the ASC (Army Service Corps) flash which was mentioned to be blue and (golden) yellow by FROGSMILE in a Great War Forum thread "Help needed ID-ing unit flash on pith helmet"

For general information about flashes, there is an article called "Helmet Flashes in the British Army" by Benny Bough from the website Military Sun Helmets

This article Includes details of two series of reference articles by John Mollo, and by Ron Kidd in The Formation Sign, Journal of The Military Heraldry Society.

Perhaps someone from the Military Sun Helmets website may be able to assist with identification of the flash in the photograph.

Sorry I am unable to give the direct URLs for the above links, but they should be able to be found by Googling

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby sarahcoy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:57 pm

THomas Noble and 2 others.jpg
THomas Noble and 2 others.jpg (685.11 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
I have just found another photo of the same person but in a different uniform. Can anyone help with identifying the uniform and regiment?

Could it be the Cumberland & Westmorland Yeomanry?

Thanks
sarahcoy

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:32 pm

I can say that's not a Yeomanry regiment - Yeomanry were mounted soldiers, whereas these are not, they have ordinary boots and puttees wound up the leg to keep the knot out of the mud - cavalry wound puttees down the leg to stop the knot rubbing against the horse.

Unfortunately the badges - I'm assuming that they are all the same - are a bit of a generic shape used by umpteen units. If you had the badges in your hand, you would be able to tell them apart by details but not like this. Well, I can't. (The Cheshire Regiment, eg, has an acorn in the middle of its sun burst star).

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Military help