Moderator Control Panel ]

Lost Grandfather

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Lost Grandfather

Postby meekhcs » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:16 pm

Hi I am away for a couple of days without computer access. I will supply the link when I return unless someone beats me to it. From memory the address mentioned was Pevensey Rd.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
meekhcs

Postby ianbee » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:12 am

Hi
Florence must have moved in 1916.
Dorothy and Violet Nicholson attended St Mary's School in Eastbourne. Adresses 72 / 27 Lower Rd.
They were withdrawn 8 March 1916, "Removed to Pevensey"
Maud Nicholson at the same school was withdrawn 30 Sep 1913, Unfit for school.

We could do with the electoral registers from 1918.
Ian
Last edited by ianbee on Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ianbee

Postby Sucher » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:13 am

MayHam, ianbee and JMckinnon - many thanks yet again for your input.

I'm determined to break this down by hook or by crook and will post the answer here when I do.

Kind Regards
Sucher

Postby Sucher » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:58 pm

Apologies for resurrecting this one and hoping that the more skilled researchers here can help. We've had a yet another discussion here about the missing TWJ Nicholson Esq. We are fairly sure that he and his wife had a child in 1898 before they married and the child was passed off as the daughter of his wife's mother. The child was taken to the States by another Sussex family and census records there indicate travel in both 1905 and 1908.

Could it be that after WW1 TWJ Nicholson and his wife travelled to the States to visit their daughter in Connecticut, Florence returned but he didn't. This may explain why there is no traceable death record in the U.K. We've tried searching immigration records and passenger list and drawn a blank. Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks

S
Sucher

Postby JMcK » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:39 am

On Family search there is a Thomas W. J. Nicholson marriage licence in Philadelphia 1919 to Helen E HAYLEY. It's just the index.

"Use the license numbers listed in this index to find copies of the marriage license records. Marriage license records for years 1885-1915 are available on microfilm at the Family History Library and Family History Centers. Marriage license records for years 1916-1951 are available at the City Hall in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania."

But I cannot find them in the 1920 census, nor any newspaper notice.

no - that can't be him, as his army record shows demob December 1919
JMcK

Postby Sucher » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:16 pm

Thanks for trying Jo. We are in touch with TWJN's nephew (generation skip). He believes our man and his wife went to the States from Southampton but only she returned. To date I cannot trace any records.

Appreciate your efforts

S
Sucher

Previous

Return to General research queries