Moderator Control Panel ]

Chris Paton (Scottish ancestors)

Quiz genealogists, authors and staff from leading family history organisations in our weekly web chats. Post your questions in advance, or hop on each Friday afternoon to join the conversation live

Re: Chris Paton

Postby Editor » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:03 pm

Thank you for coming on today and answering so many questions Chris!

If you would like more help from Chris, you can buy his books on Scottish, Irish and internet genealogy (see http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/p/about-chris-paton.html). You can also read his guide to Scottish research in our next issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine on sale on 5th August.

Finally, for anyone researching Scottish ancestors, don't miss out on the opportunity to go to Who Do You Think You Are? Live Scotland this August (http://www.whodoyouthinkyouarelive.com). It runs from the 29th to the 31st August and Chris Paton will be one of many experts on hand giving advice and holding workshops. It's also a great opportunity to access numerous archives, including getting free access to ScotlandsPeople, all under one roof.

Thank you again to Chris and everyone for taking part.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby dgraciebrown1 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:06 am

Hi, I am looking for my 2nd great grandfathers birth. As far as I can make out he was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, according to the 1841 Scotland and 1851 England census he gives his birth place as Edinburgh. His name is Henry Gracie born 1819, he was a shoe maker. I have tried to find him in Scotland's Register House and have written to Churches in Edinburgh with no luck. I am now beginning to wonder if he was born elsewhere.

I have his marriage certificate to Margaret Fletcher who was born in Nairn. Without his birth or baptism I cannot find out who his parents where for sure. Neither of the census gives any clue as to his parents. I have been searching for this for 15 year now and have had no luck at all.

I do have his death certificate which names his wife and children but not the parents. Henry and Margaret immigrated to Australia in 1853.

It would be great if you could help with this.

Regards
Dianne Brown nee Gracie
dgraciebrown1

Postby FraserMac » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi Chris,

We have a family tradition that my great great grandmother Jane Peters was related to an Aberdonian industrialist called James (soapy) Ogston. Jane was the daughter of William Peter(s) a grocer from Aberdeen who died in the Aberdeen Royal asylum in 1861 around the same time that his daughter apparently eloped to Edinburgh to marry Charles Brown. She was definitely related to the Ogston family, as her widowed grandmother who lived with them was called Jean Ogston. We are not sure how closely (if at all) she was related to the soap and candle manufacturers in Aberdeen. It may be a story she made up, or have been told, but it would be nice to proove a connection as he seems to have had an interesting life!

On a side note, William Peters died in the asylum in Aberdeen and his grandson William Brown ( my great grandfather) died in the Edinburgh morningside asylum in 1918. What records are likely to survive and how can I access them?

Thanks

Fraser MacDonald
FraserMac

Re: Chris Paton (Scottish ancestors)

Postby campbrd1 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:51 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (110.59 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
Hello,

I’m trying to trace back my 3rd Great grandfather John Campbell who was born in Edinburgh Scotland and was by trade a cabinet maker. Find attached a district sketch contained in the History of inverness County Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia on page 212 titled the Campbells of Judique.
He came to America (Lunenburg, Nova Scotia) in 1818. I have not been able to find any shipping lists to confirm this information. While I suspect he might be the son of James Campbell and Jean Watt of Edinburgh of this I cannot be absolutely certain. He supposedly had two brothers Donald and Hugh who mustered out of the Black Watch after 12 years and went to Australia. I cannot tie these two brothers to my 3rd Great Grandfather. Nor find any information on them. My only viable assumption is that his father may have been previously married or that if James Campbell is his actual father.
I am planning to visit the Edinburgh Archives sometime in the future, but meanwhile I am seeking other avenues to pursue discovering/confirming the identity of his parents and hopefully his grandparents.
I have access to Scotland’s people, ancestry.com and Findmypast but I have not discovered anymore records to date.
Can you provide me with other sources I can check or other means of finding the information I seek? It would be very much appreciated.
campbrd1

Postby ksouthall » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:44 pm

Have you been searching through American records on Ancestry? If so, Nova Scotia is in Canada so you would be better off checking the Canadian records.
ksouthall

Postby campbrd1 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:15 am

With the exception of a few people I already have my 3rd Great grandfather John Campbell’s descendants well documented here in Canada.
What I do not have are records from his life in Edinburgh Scotland, who were his siblings, his parents and grandparents?
So the year he arrived in Lunenburg Nova Scotia was 1818. Eventually settling in Judique, Nova Scotia. He was from Edinburgh Scotland and was by trade a Cabinet Maker. He had two brothers Hugh and Donald who mustered out of the Black Watch after twelve years and took up land in Australia.
My search of the online databases reveal nothing concrete. A search of Familysearch.org brings up a possibility of James Campbell and Jean Watt as his parents. However records for these two people do not show them as being parents to a Hugh or Donald. The only explanation is that James could have been previously married before marrying Jean Watt. But I have not been able to find records that would link Hugh and James to John my 3rd great Grandfather.
So I am in search of records from Scotland or England that would tie these brothers together. Australian records do not reflect 500 acres land grants given to soldiers in the Black Watch. Possibly these records might be contained in the National Archives in London? As for the grants of land they each got in Australia 500 acres sounds like a lot. I would assume that they were of the officer class to receive such a large grant each. Most of the Black Watch records of the era went missing and all that remain are records reconstructed from other sources. Where else could one look for land grants given to soldiers at the time. Am I not correct in saying that land grants to soldiers was phased out sometime in the 1800s however I am uncertain of the time this practice was discontinued.

Hope that clarifies thing more
campbrd1

Chris Paton (Scottish ancestors)

Postby Lincs2b4 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:31 pm

NON ACCIDENT DEATHS IN SCOTTISH PITS
Hello, I am trying to research the death by natural causes of my wife's grandfather Adam White at Enterkine Pit near Prestwick in 1954.
I have researched the national miners website and Scottish mining web site. They all detail mining accidents but Adam was a colliery blacksmith and believed to have suffered a heart attack. Will his death have investigated and if so where would papers be stored

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Lincs2b4

Postby Rosemary Collins » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:39 am

This thread is for a live chat which has now closed. If you want more people to see your query, please could you repost it in 'General research queries'?
Rosemary Collins
Editorial Assistant
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine
Rosemary Collins

Previous

Return to Live web chats