Moderator Control Panel ]

Where on the Thames?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Where on the Thames?

Postby deke » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:11 am

I think this was taken by the Thames in the Richmond/Kew area around 1930, I am trying to find out where exactly and if it is possible to identify which rowing club is shown.
Attachments
thames rowing.jpeg
thames rowing.jpeg (408.91 KiB) Viewed 3008 times
deke

Where on the Thames?

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:49 am

To the right seems to be the end of an island, and with my limited knowledge there aren't too many on the Thames, so I think it could be Chiswick eyot. Looking via ipad maps, the curvature and width of the river at that point seems about right. (ipad maps even shows some rowing boats on the river). As far as I can make out, there is also a clubhouse just about where the photo was taken from.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Re: Where on the Thames?

Postby brunes08 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:59 am

I thought the right hand side looked like the end of an island too, so I dug out my London A-Z. There are several islands on this stretch of the Thames, some tiny, some quite large. The nearest to Richmond is Isleworth Ait. This is on the opposite side of the river to Old Deer Park which is next to Richmond. Just on the same site is Kew. The other large island is Eel Pie Island at Twickenham, a little further up stream. Hope that is helpful.
brunes08

Postby Cmcquade » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:19 am

I've lived in Richmond my whole life and this looks like marble hill river side?
Cmcquade

Postby Cmcquade » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:20 am

Possibly taken from ham house side
Cmcquade

Return to Photo identification