Moderator Control Panel ]

seeking a relative

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

seeking a relative

Postby colliehouse » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:20 pm

I wonder if anyone might have any suggestions about how I could try to trace information about my grandmother. Her name was Jane Elizabeth Theobold born 26 December 1909 in Durham. She was an only child and she was orphaned when a young child. She moved to London and then Surrey in domestic service. She is said to have believed that her father was a miner. I have not been able to locate a birth certificate or any other information. Have tried looking on mining sites with no result. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
colliehouse

RE: seeking a relative

Postby Siann » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:10 am

Hi Colliehouse

Could this be your grandmother:-

Jane Hannah Theobald born Durham Registration District, 1Q 1909
Reference: 10a 431.

As your grandmother was born in December, it's possible her birth wasn't registered until January. I know the name is slightly different and the birth a year earlier than you expected but could it be her?

Also, have you thought about lifting all Theobalds born in Durham in the late 19th and early 20th century from the Birth Indexes?

Just a thought. Sorry if you have done this already and I am stating the obvious.

Siann
Siann

Postby colliehouse » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:33 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. I had found Jane Hannah and wondered about her but was pursuaded by a relative not to pursue this line as it was too far from similar. However, I think I may do this anyway.

I hadn't thought about using the birth indexes in the way you suggest. Great idea. Thank you for your help.
colliehouse

Postby Siann » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:23 pm

It worked for a friend of mine who was tracing her ancestors in Devon. We listed all BMD's for that surname in the one Registration District and put them into family groups. My friend's great-grandfather seemed to disappear after his birth in 1874 and we could find no trace of his parents. Eventually we found him in an orphanage in Bristol in 1881, although he was born in Barnstaple. There were two other children in the orphanage with the same surname and because we had extracted the BMD's from the GRO indexes, were able to prove they were siblings.

You could try lifting all Theobalds from the 1901 Durham census and see if you could identify any Theobald mining families "in the right place at the right time". Also check the death indexes after 1908/09 to see if you could find out what happened to the Theobalds you have found on the 1901 census. Tedious, but with nothing else to go on, this is the route I would take.

Siann
Siann

Postby colliehouse » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:40 pm

I had dismissed the census because she wasn't born then, never thought of looking for her parents there. Obvious of course when someone else suggests it! Many thanks.
colliehouse

Return to General research queries