Moderator Control Panel ]

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

RE: 1841

Postby cranger » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:16 pm

My ggggranda came over from Ireland and stayed with a family. Once the father of the family died he promptly married the now widowed wife. Then couple years later my gggranda was born.
cranger

Postby tricia » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:40 am

Hi my family is rather diverse in 1841. On my paternal side Thomas Burtenshaw lived in Iron Pear Tree cottage in Cuckfield Sussex which I believe is still standing. On my maternal Great grandmother's side they lived in a croft on Skye whils other worked in the cotton mills of Lanarkshire and had occupation such as cotton dyer, hand loom weaver. I am still searching
tricia

Postby Suze » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:46 pm

In 1841 one of my great great grandfathers was 11 years old and working as a Carter on a farm in Wiltshire. His Father was in Marlborough Workhouse dying of spinal paralysis and his Mother also in the Workhouse dying of consumption. His elder sisters were lodgers in Marlborough.

When we complain about life sometimes it helps if we consider how our ancestors lived!
Suze

Postby Crafters Corner » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:23 am

Hi,
In 1841 my 4xgreat grandfather, Michael Watson is living in Idle, Bradford with 6 of his children, while his wife Martha is elsewhere in Idle with what I assume to be her mother (right surname), and another child. Curiously, this child has the same name as one of the other children (Faith), but while the older Faith is 12 years old, the younger one is 12 months old.
By 1851 he has married someone else, and within the next few years changed from Wesleyan to Mormon and set sail for Salt Lake City. He and his wife and three youngest children set sail in 1854 on the Clara Wheeler, apparently arrived in New Orleans in January 1855, but never reached Salt Lake City.
I would dearly love to know how to find out what happened to them. I would love Who Do You Think You Are? to do a program on the Mormon Invasion of Bradford.

Sue.
Crafters Corner

Postby viking800 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:16 am

[blockquote]
What were my family doing in 1841?
Paternal line:
2x gt grandfather James Slater/Slatter (master mariner b. Walls, Shetland,1808) res at South Shields recently widowed & with his 2 infant children (also soon to die)
(I descend from his 2nd marriage)

His father (my3x gt) William Slater (b.1779, fisherman/farmer) was still resident in Walls with his second wife Helen Brown; by that time their children numbered about 13!

3x gt grandfather Richard (Dick) Christian (horsebreaker/jockey/ hunt organiser/farmer b. Cottesmore, Rutland 1779) res Melton Mowbray with his 3rd wife Catherine Cooke. Still active because, even though he was known & respected by the gentry, there was still nothing in existence as civilized as a pension!

My 2x gt Thomas Christian (b1825 Melton Mowbray) was still learning his trade from his father whilst his future Irish catholic wife Mary Kavanagh was probably preparing to flee the potato famine at this time! (they married c.1847)

Maternal line:

3x gt grandfather George Smith (charcoal burner b. Bexleyheath, Kent 1809) m. Elizabeth Brown 1838 & had two children by 1841. Watching charcoal "cook" could not have been particularly inspiring because by 1854 he had pickled his liver & died of alchoholism!

His father (my 4x gt) George Smith (another one!- gen labourer b. South Benfleet, Essex 1778) was spending his last years in the Dartford workhouse. His wife Mary Firbank was also there but, of course, males & females were kept separate in such places!

Such were the delights for my family in 1841!

[/blockquote]
Veteran family history researcher with Norse, Scottish, Irish, & English roots!
viking800

Postby Jeeps » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:16 am

Gt.gf Shirley Bunbury was just 3 weeks old and living in Whitwick, Leicester with his 2 year old sister and 1 year old brother, the children of Thomas Henry Bunbury, a clergyman from Ireland and his wife, Mary Bell, the daughter of grocer John Bell of Nottingham and Dorothy Fox. I think I have found Thomas Henry's father, Henry, another clergyman, staying in Shropshire while his wife Henrietta Shirley and two of their daughters, Harriet and Augusta, were living in Liverpool.

Gt.gt.gf. Henry Gibson, a clergyman from Fyfield, Essex, was staying with the family of another clergyman (relatives of his wife?) in Norfolk with his wife Sarah and two of their four children, William aged 4 and Robert aged 3 months. The other two children, Charles aged 5 and Thomas aged 1, were at home at the Rectory in Fyfield, Essex.

Gt.gt.gf. John Greenham, a merchant from Somerset was not recorded on the census as he had moved to Trieste and had business and family there. His widowed mother, Elizabeth Parsons was living in Somerset.

3 x gt.gf. Basil Spencer Blackham was a steel toy maker, living in Birmingham with his first wife Mary and their children, 15 yr old Benjamin (gt.gt.gf) a porter, 12 yr old Joseph, a brushmaker and 8 yr old Martha, a brushmaker.

3 x gt.gf. Thomas Terry was a labourer, living in Birmingham with his second wife Mary and their children, 10 yr old Mary (gt.gt.gm), 5 yr old Thomas and 1 yr old James.

3 x gt.gf. Samuel Bailey Grew was a servant (butler) in Stowe House, Lichfield, Staffordshire. His children Mary aged 20, Thomas aged 17, Henry 14 (gt.gt.gf), and Charles 11, appear to have been living with his siblings, Mary, Andrew, Elizabeth and Charlotte in Lichfield.

3 x gt.gf. Nehemiah Taylor was a blacksmith, living in West Bromwich with his wife, Hannah Harrison and their children, John 15, Mary 14 (gt.gt.gm), Thomas 12, Hannah 9, Francis 6 and Emma 4. Nehemiah's siblings (John another blacksmith and Elizabeth) and his father Thomas were either living with the family or close by.

What an interesting (to me!) little exercise!
~~Jeeps~~
Jeeps

Postby Mark1973 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:53 pm

Hello People!

My gggggGrandfather William Lavender (1783 - 1874, Ruislip) was recorded as 50 years old living with his Wife (Ann Massey 1784 - 1849, Ruislip) & children at Ruislip Common, Middlesex. Occupation: Agricultural Labourer.

My gggggGrandfather Richard Abrehart (c.1786 - 1850, birthplace unknown) was recorded as 55 years old living with his Wife Sarah (c.1786 - 1849, birthplace unknown) & children at Barrowfield Lane, Edmonton, Middlesex. Occupation: Agricultural Labourer.

My ggggGrandfather Daniel Adaway (1804 - 1883, Burnham) was recorded as 35 years old living with his Wife (Eliza Plumridge 1809 - 1854, Princes Risborough) & children at Colwyn Green, Burnham, Buckinghamshire. Occupation: Agricultural Labourer.

For some reason the Lavenders, Abreharts & Adaways all moved to Mitcham, Surrey in the late 1870's.

Mark1973

Postby cms » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:00 pm

It is so interesting that we can tell what our ancestors were, at such a far remove from us in time!

I have done a tree back to my gt gt grandparents and now have filled in all their names, maiden names and occupations (though not death dates) These are the occupations they had in 1841 -

4 farmers, 2 shoemakers and 2 joiners. They lived in Warwickshire, Lancashire, Shropshire, the Isle of Bute and Greenock .

All I knew before I started doing research a few years ago was the strong farming connection. Hooray for the censuses!
Main family names:
BATE Cheshire;Lancs
DRURY Shropshire
McCOLL Argyll;Rothesay;Greenock
CHILWELL Warks;Staffs
Also
BATHO, DICKEN Shropshire
REED Yorks
SMITH, ROULSTON Nuneaton
SMEDLEY Nottingham
cms

Previous