Moderator Control Panel ]

Walter Bagshaw

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Walter Bagshaw

Postby Harriet » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:30 am

I am trying to find out what happened to this chap after 1898 (I would also like to find him on the 1891!)
Walter Mase Bagshaw was born in Norwich Jun Q 1841, registered as Walter Bagshaw Mase, he was the son of Abraham Bagshaw and Esther Rhoda Mase. They married in 1844 (I have the certificate), another son, Joseph Bagshaw Mace Bagshaw was born in 1843.
Walter was a civil and mechanical engineer, found in Dudley in 1881 (previous census he is in Norwich), and on his mother's death 26 Aug 1898 he is the informant. She died at his home 37 Wilford Grove Nottingham.
I believe that there are directory entries for him in Nottingham in 1905 but after that nothing, no obvious death record, and no obvious ship's manifest record to say he has gone abroad.
To confuse matters there is another Walter Bagshaw, born 1843 in Batley Yorkshire, he is also a civil and mechanical engineer (I think the civil and mechanical directory entry on Ancestry refers to him). This Walter Bagshaw died in 1906 in Yorkshire.
I have searched for Walter using both the surname Bagshaw and Mase/Mace, I have tried an address search on FMP but to no avail. He is one of 3 children of Abraham and Rhoda that I cannot kill off!
Thanks for any help!
Harriet

Re: Walter Bagshaw

Postby sdup26 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:46 pm

The 1881 census entry gives Walter's details as if he'd answered, but the enumerator has added 'slept away from home but was not scheduled.' In theory, if he wasn't at that address on census night, he shouldn't have been included, but it's lucky for you he was, as he's elusive in 1891 and 1901. I've tried all the sources you've probably tried yourself, like census searches using alternative spellings and initials only, emigration, and deaths, but no luck so far I'm afraid.
sdup26

Return to General research queries