Moderator Control Panel ]

Nigeria Regiment

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Nigeria Regiment

Postby Chadwi » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:02 pm

I am trying to research a captain of the Yorkshire Regiment who died in WW1 in 1917; he was attached to the Nigeria Regiment and his boat was torpedoed on route back to England. I'd like to know about about his service with the Nigeria Regiment, but I'm not ware of any relevant war diaries - does anyone have any other suggestions?
Chadwi

Re: Nigeria Regiment

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:18 pm

Interesting... Took me several minutes to work out how to get stuff out of TNA's Discovery. Search on the phrase "Nigeria Regiment", but set "Don't find" to 372 - this excludes the several thousand Medal Index Cards.

If I dated the search 1917, I did get this:
Reference: CAB 45/47
Description:
War Diaries (Private): Operations of No 8 Company, 2nd Nigeria Regiment, by Capt C H Fowles
Date: 1916-1918
Held by: The National Archives, Kew

Note this is not in the WO files. I was expecting CO for Colonial Office but not CABinet papers(?)

Otherwise this seems as late as the Ward Diaries get for the NR:
Reference: WO 95/5387/4
Description: Cameroons Headquarters and Troops; 1 Battalion Nigeria regiment
Note: The pages in this item are part of a larger record (piece). The record has been split into smaller parts during the digitisation process.
Date: 1914 Sept - 1916 Feb

Maybe looking at other search terms such as Cameroons Headquarters will help?
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby MaureenE » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:19 pm

There are online books (one book and two magazine articles) relating to the Nigeria Regiment linked on the FIBIS Fibiwiki page East Africa (First World War)
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/East_Af ... _World_War)

I do not know whether the Nigeria regiment had different Battalions, but you may be able to find some mention of your captain in the monthly Army Lists on the National Library of Scotland, which could give an indication
http://digital.nls.uk/british-military- ... =102697258

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby Chadwi » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:54 am

Thanks Maureen
Chadwi

Return to Military help