Moderator Control Panel ]

Military Rank

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Military Rank

Postby meekhcs » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:47 pm

I cannot give full details here as it is a private matter, HOWEVER, is anyone able to advise me if a PTI in the Army/or more probably RAF, would be listed in War records as a PTI or by Rank, AND was there a particular set of numbers given to PTIs, AND could they be in any regiment or were there particular PTI regiments.
I really have no idea where to look so any pointers would be most welcome.

Thank you
meekhcs

Re: Military Rank

Postby Jethro Tull » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:16 pm

Hi meekhcs

I believe they would be listed by their rank and the PTI bit is their rating, as for the regiment, in the modern army at least, they are part of the Royal Army Physical Training Corps and are attached to units from there. Not sure is this was the case for previous conflicts etc. I cannot help on the service numbers though, sorry. Hope you find something from this!

Sent from my SM-G930F using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:35 pm

This may not be helpful but - if we are talking post-WW1, then the only comprehensive War Records that exist are the Service Records held by the MoD. So I do worry that whatever you want to look at may not be a full story. The MoD records can be accessed (under the usual privacy restrictions) by full name plus either service number or date-of-birth. I presume from your questions that you do not have the service number - but you don't need it to access the MoD records. Well, not for the Army, at least - the RAF form is not as clear on this topic.

Sorry if you've got all this sorted but if you were going for the MoD records, I didn't want you to imagine that you need the service number.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:58 pm

Re Numbers - as usual I thought of something after I'd hit the enter key.

Somewhere I've seen lists of what the number ranges were for the Army. I managed to find one lot - http://16dli.awardspace.com/page113.html covers the WW2 and earlier number ranges for the Army. The page lists:

Army Physical Training Corps 10,655,001-10,660,000

This would imply there was at that time a specific range for members of the Army PT Corps - whether all members of the Corps were PTIs, I have no idea. I'd take a shrewd bet that if there were others in that Corps then all the numbers will be mixed up.

But at some point during WW2 I believe that the idea of number ranges for regiments and corps was abandoned - instead numbers were "simply" applied chronologically, starting at a certain number and working up. (Personally, I'm convinced this isn't the full story - without a computer system to issue the next free number, I think there must still have been number ranges but they were number ranges for each recruiting depot.) If this is true, then all the Army numbers would have been mixed up.

No idea about the RAF.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:29 am

Thank you both

I am just trying to make sure I haven'y missed any possible avenue

Sally
meekhcs

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:08 pm

May I add a personal note, as not all PTIs were attached to the Army Physical Training Corps. I know that my father was a PTI sergeant in the Gloucester Regiment during WWII. He enlisted in the Wiltshire Regiment, and given one of their service numbers (5573955), but within a short time, was transferred to the Gloucester Regiment. His service record shows him attached to the ITC, Infantry Training Corps, and travelling with the regiment to Nigeria, where they trained the 6th Nigerian Rifles, then on to India.
I don't have his records to hand at the moment, but other than being assigned to different ITC, I don't recall any mention of him being a PTI, just his various promotions and movements within the regiment.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby meekhcs » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:00 pm

Thanks Mick

I have his name and surname (which unfortunately is very common).I have his birthday, but not the year of his birth. I know he served on an RAF base at some stage during WW11. I presume he was in the services in 1939 because he does not show up in the 1939 register. I suspect he was in the RAF not the army, hence my original post, and I am told he was a PTI. I have some photos of a group of PTI's but I don't know which one is him, and I cannot post it on here.

Not a lot to go on at all but I was just trying to make sure I had covered all avenues of research I could undertake. I think it will remain a mystery.

Sally
meekhcs

Return to Military help