Moderator Control Panel ]

GRO trial uncertified BMDs

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: GRO trial uncertified BMDs

Postby Guy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:12 am

AntonyM wrote:Guy

You have a standard numbered correction - they can only be done during the registration process and before the entry is signed by the registrar. It will be a simple digit alongside the place where the error has been corrected - and as you say it indicates the number of errors in that particular register. The number should also be written (as a word) in the margin and initialled by the registrar. Today they only get done in marriage registers, which are still hand written.

After the entry is signed, any further correction would generate a marginal note explaining why - the nature of which and the authority it requires depending on the seriousness of the error.

Thanks Antony, as in Lottie’s mum’s copy above for the deletion, the number four written in words plus the initials of the Registrar.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby ksouthall » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:39 am

Guy wrote:...I can't think of any instance when the note would turn the whole certificate on its head.

I have an example where omitting the note would mean I wouldn't have found what I believe to be the correct certificate for one of my ancestors. However, it is not a PDF file it is a registered copy that I bought in 2006. (I can't believe it's that long ago!)

The first name of my ancestor had been registered as George when his death was registered on 17th April 1876 but was corrected to Thomas on 24th April 1876. The death was registered by the master of the workhouse where he died, which was in St Neots. He was from Luton so that could account for the confusion. I believe it is the correct death record as the occupation matches his and he disappeared some time in the 1870s.
ksouthall

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:58 am

Out of interest, has the trial finished? I was usingt he site yesterday and the PDF option was no longer there!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:12 am

From memory, the trial was to continue until 30 November or a certain number of certificates had been ordered - whichever came first.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby janiej » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:11 pm

There will be two other trials. The dates are not announced yet. The next one is the premium 3 hour PDF service with, from memory, was about £45 per pdf so I guess it will only be for heir hunters!
janiej

Postby AntonyM » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:08 am

Phase two of the trial - with pdf copies of ANY record held, digitised or not, available with a 3hr turnaround if ordered before 1pm, has gone live today. Cost - £45

Available until 8th Feb, or when 15,000 have been produced.
AntonyM

Postby pete25 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:08 am

I checked the other day on an ancestor who I suspected had her children out of wedlock. I found all of her children and there was no maiden surname entry...bingo!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat