Moderator Control Panel ]

Confusion with Regimental Number

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Confusion with Regimental Number

Postby dpatey » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi

My ancestor Robert George Taylor is shown on his daughters baptism on 17 10 1915 as being a Lance Corporal in the 11th Hampshires, I have managed to find his regimental number as being 11385 a private!, this is confirmed through the Registration cards and the address that was listed. I have also come across another Robert George Taylor as being a Corporal with the regimental number of 281010 being in the hampshires

To date I have been unable to find the service records for either of the above.

You can see my confusion, is it possible that the regimental number changes with promotion through the ranks and does anyone know where I can find the service records to assist in my search?

Thanks

Darren
dpatey

Re: Confusion with Regimental Number

Postby midshipman » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:02 pm

Hi Darren, you should have a look at the topic "Medal Index Card" started on 21st November 2016. It discusses army service numbers and how soldiers could have 2 or more different numbers.
Your Robert George Taylor could of had both numbers at different stages of the Great War. Regards John

Sent from my SM-J320FN using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
midshipman

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:05 pm

Much more likely that these are 2 entirely different soldiers with the same name - especially since the guy with the 6 digit number is a Territorial soldier - 28xxxx format numbers started in the 6th Battalion of the Hampshires (see the Long Long Trail website) - while a 5 digit number is probably a Regular or Kitchener era New Army recruit or conscript in the same regiment. To show that these were the same guy, you would need to have a single document with both numbers on, such as a Medal Index Card or Service Record.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby trace » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:24 am

On Silver War Badge List....
Private Robert George Taylor
enlisted 14 Sep 1914
discharged 23 Aug 1916
cause of discharge Wounds
Silver War Badge issued 7 Oct 1916
trace