Moderator Control Panel ]

advice on finding my grandfather

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

advice on finding my grandfather

Postby sam123 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:53 pm

Hi, I am looking for some advice on tracing my grandfather, my grandmother was married twice and her second husband adopted my father ,I have a copy of her first marriage certificate which gives his name and I have tried to find a record of his birth he was born in 1915,but can't seem to find anything. My father only recently found out that he was adopted and has spoken to his aunt who is the only surviving relative but she was very vague all she would tell him was that he was an american soldier who died in the war and would say no more. On the marriage certificate his profession is a bricklayer and his address is in Andover Hants. My fathers adoption certificate gives his original name and the surname is the same as my grandmothers first husband .
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated
sam123

RE: advice on finding my grandfather

Postby margaretabram » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:56 pm

The American soldier story doesn't seem to match the bricklayer from Andover. Has your grandmother's first marriage certificate got the name and occupation of your grandfather's father? If so, you could try looking on the 1901 census and previous ones.

If you think that the American link is plausible, you could look for your great grandfather on the US censuses. (It will probably be necessary to pay to see these.)

If you could find your father's original birth certificate, that would be helpful.

Hopefully the surname is not too popular!

Mags
Mags
margaretabram

Return to General research queries