Moderator Control Panel ]

Frederick JOEL or JEWELL

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Frederick JOEL or JEWELL

Postby SDV » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:23 pm

I am trying to track down what happened to the above soldier. He was last heard of in 1871.

According to the 1871 census: Frederick JOEL (19), Private 1698, 1st Battalion, The Kings Own Royal Regiment, based at Depot 38, Aldershot, born Siddington, Glos.

According to the British Army list of 1871: Private Fredk JOEL (1698), 1st Bn (Kings Own) Regiment of Foot, Aldershot.

After these two sightings, he simply disappears. Any military experts, who can help cast some light on his fate?
SDV

Re: Frederick JOEL or JEWELL

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:43 pm

Nothing springs out at me when I look at the military stuff on FMP. Unfortunately while Paul Nixon has laboured valiantly and produced the Army Worldwide Indexes for 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, for perfectly sensible reasons of priority, he hasn't done (or arranged to be done) an 1881.

In the absence of an appearance in the civilian censuses and his apparent non-appearance in the surviving Army soldiers' papers, we may be looking at someone who died in service (in which case his army papers were not kept), left before 1883 without a pension (in which case his army papers were not kept), was bought out or bought himself out (in which case his army papers were not kept - though I have seen an exception to that).

About the only thing to do is look through the Pay Book & Muster Lists at Kew, starting with his regiment in 1871, looking for him in each quarterly(?) list until you find his discharge details. (This could be a transfer to another regiment in which case....)

It may be possible to short-cut this by finding his name in the Casualty Returns (slightly oddly named - these lists refer not to injuries but to alterations to the regiment's strength, i.e. discharges, etc.) but I didn't have a lot of luck with these when I tried it, as there were both regimental and depot books when I was looking for reports.

In summary - there's no certainty that anything will survive beyond a 1-liner and it's very unlikely to be online.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Sylcec » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:20 pm

Have you looked into movements of the regiment after 1871? It may well have been deployed overseas and Frederick may have died or taken discharge in another country - the latter not uncommon where soldiers form relationships or marry locally born girls.
The regiment was in South Africa fighting in the First Zulu War in 1879, so he could have lost his life there and then.
Sylcec

Postby brunes08 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:52 pm

I had a quick look on Ancestry but didn't find anything conclusive there other than what you already have. I did look up the Regiment though. The Regimental Museum has a lot of information on its website - most important is that you can send in a query with the details you have. They might be able to help you. The site address is kingsownmuseum.com. I do not know where you are but the Museum is in Lancaster.
brunes08

Postby peter kent » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:18 am

The battalion's movements are said to be
1868 England
1874 Gibraltar
1879 West Indies
1881 Aldershot.

Dates are approximate. Have you found the unit in the 1881 census (the unit, not necessarily him personally)?

Otherwise I would agree with the suggestion that has already been made to search the pay and muster lists.
peter kent

Postby ritpetite » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:41 pm

I don't know if this helps maybe the one you are looking for.

Name: Friedr Joel
Estimated birth year: abt 1858
Port of Departure: Bremen
Port of Arrival: Sydney, New South Wales
Voyage Arrival Date: 4 Aug 1908
Vessel Name: Roon

Rita James, NZ
ritpetite

Return to Military help