Moderator Control Panel ]

*More* handwriting help needed on service record

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

*More* handwriting help needed on service record

Postby JaneyH » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:04 pm

Here's the next extract from the service record of my ancestor Charles Barnes.

At the top of this page there is a section entitled "Service at Home and Abroad". This notes the following movements:

Home 2 Jan 1888 to 25 Feb 1889
India 26 Jan 1889 to 4 March 1896
Home 5 Mar 1896 to 11 Nov 1899
S. Africa 12 Nov 1899 to 1 Oct 1902
Home 2 Oct 1902 to 2 Apr 1906 (when he was discharged)

What I'm trying to work out is section 11, "Passed Classes of Instruction".

Artillery training CJB.JPG
Artillery training CJB.JPG (27.09 KiB) Viewed 1252 times

It looks as if this reads:
"Course of position Arty [Artillery?] Lydd 14.12.94
Qualified for promotion to Corpl [Corporal] 2.6.93
" " " " Sergt [Sergeant] 10.12.94
Short course of Gunnery at Shoeburyness 16.2.94"

(Then the notes/dates on 3rd, 2nd and 1st class education are clear to read.)

Have I read the dates correctly here? If so, I'm unclear about the timing of the training in relation to his posting to India. Would it have been the case that he was based in India with 65th Battery, but could have been sent home to Lydd and Shoeburyness for training? I wonder whether the date for Shoeburyness in fact reads 16.12.94, which could conceivably make it one trip back to Britain. I've already read that Shoeburyness was one of the main training bases for the Artillery, and Lydd was - indeed still is - an Army range.

All offers of fresh eyes and new insight gratefully received!
JaneyH

Re: *More* handwriting help needed on service record

Postby junkers » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:03 pm

Your transcription looks right to me.
junkers

Postby coopernicola » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:52 pm

One of the men I researched for our extended Family Tree has a similar service record, also RA serving in India at a similar time. His record shows he went to India for various periods 3, 6 months and 2 years. He also spent time training at Shoeburyness, eventually becoming an instructor. It seems it was common for artillery soldiers to come and go to many places, including a range of courses for gunners, instructors etc. It was also fascinating to read his medical history too!
coopernicola

Postby JaneyH » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:24 pm

Many thanks, both!

Nicola - Charles lived to the age of 78 which can't have been too bad for someone who served 18 years in the Army, covering both India (7 years) and South Africa. There's no mention of any health issues or injuries in the records I have so far. His service record notes that his character on being discharged was "exemplary" so I'm assuming he must have been reasonably well-behaved. I also have a photo of a group of soldiers which I assume includes Charles, take outside a 'scripture reading and prayer room'. There are no notes to indicate where or when it was taken, but the fact it fell out of my Great-Gran's Bible, and the fact they were very close, makes me assume it includes him - possibly in India. It's difficult to tell from the uniforms in the photo if it's a group of Artillery soldiers, but I want to re-scan it at a higher resolution to see if I can discern anything new.
JaneyH

Return to Military help