Moderator Control Panel ]

Handwriting help needed on service record

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Postby JaneyH » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:54 pm

Shown below is a section of the service record of my ancestor Charles Barne, who I've posted about before and have now located records outlining his time in the Royal Field Artillery - including time in India and South Africa (Boer War).

CJB1.JPG
CJB1.JPG (52.92 KiB) Viewed 2134 times

I'm hoping that someone may be able to disentangle some of the handwriting here, and in particular what the entry with the date 1 June 1891 reads. It says "appointed ..." but I really can't make it out. I can see that he was latterly promoted to bombardier and then sergeant, but this particular entry is a mystery. From my reading about ranks within the artillery my understanding is that gunner / driver was the entry-level rank, and I also wonder whether the entry dated 1 July 1889 is simply a "G", denoting gunner.

All comments gratefully received!
JaneyH

Re: Handwriting help needed on service record

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:04 pm

Given that the one after the 1 June 1891, is Bombardier, it seems likely that the squiggle for 1 June is for Acting Bombardier. It looks like it's been amended - maybe. My estimate of the squiggle is based partly on what it looks like and partly on logic.

Don't know about the first one - not convinced it's even anything other than the guy's initials.

my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Sylcec » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:39 pm

For the 1 July 1889 Reorganisation I'm pretty sure the abbreviation is gr for gunner, though the initial upstroke adds an element of confusion.
Like Adrian I agree that the 1 June 1891 entry is aBr, i.e. abbreviation for Acting Bombardier.
Sylcec

Postby JaneyH » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:13 am

Many thanks, Adrian and Sylvia. I've made myself go cross-eyed staring at this for so long!

Sylvia - you'll be pleased to know that after I was pointed to the fantastic FIBIS website by someone on the 'Victorian Wars Forum' I've managed to pinpoint the individual cantonments where Charlie was based during his time in India.

The service record also notes the clasps he received on his Queen's South Africa Medal so now I need to read about those particular parts of the Boer War. It's a bit of history I know almost nothing about!

Janey

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby Mick Loney » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:49 pm

I think it says 'appointed GC pay at 1d', which I would guess was an extra penny for Good Conduct.
Makes some sort of sense, as he was promoted shortly after.

Oops, sorry, reading wrong entry.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby JaneyH » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:30 pm

Mick - that's still very helpful. This is the first time I've had such a detailed service record so I'm still in the process of making sense of it all. There's another portion I need to enlarge and post - I'll try to do that tomorrow if I get time.

Janey

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby Sylcec » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:25 am

Janey - pleased to know that you are making good progress and venturing into a wealth of new records in the process.
Sylcec

Return to Military help