Moderator Control Panel ]

Help with identification of these photos ?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Help with identification of these photos ?

Postby Maddy Oldale » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:02 am

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help ,e date these two photos so I can work out who they were in my tree? They are from my great grandma's photo album and she died in the 1950s? Any help would be appreciated ..... I'm not sure if they are the same woman but older?

Thank you so much

Maddy
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (667.84 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (809.9 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
Maddy Oldale

Re: Help with identification of these photos ?

Postby brunes08 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:56 pm

The photos are a little unclear so it is difficult to suggest very much. However, in each photo the lady seems to be wearing a full length skirt. This suggests to me that the photos are possibly pre-1WW as skirts tended to be much shorter in the 1920s. Although some older people may have continued to wear what they were used to. Both ladies appear to have quite distinctive cheek bones so it may be the same person at different ages or related in some way.
brunes08

Postby Maddy Oldale » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:40 pm

Thank you so much for replying. they are quite blurry sorry, I think that the photo with the dog may be a copy of a much older photo as it doesn't look that great quality and I don't think can be the original image.

I think I might look back at all my pre ww1 candidates and try and eliminate people until I get a possible! Thanks for the confirmation about the skirts though, that helps.

Mandy
Maddy Oldale

Postby Jillian.Trethewey.25143 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:34 am

Hi,
I agree with what has been said so far.
In addition, I suggest the lady in the first photo is very elderly as her face has the changes of someone in their eighties, maybe even closer to ninety.
She is sitting in a cane chair outdoors in the garden with her feet resting on a special footrest of some kind.
In the second photo, the elderly lady is looking down at a little dog offering a treat.
This photo is also taken outdoors on a porch or patio so maybe there are other photos in the album with the same background or the same little dog?
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Jill
Jillian.Trethewey.25143

Postby Maddy Oldale » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi

Thank you so much for your help- I've had a look back through my tree and think a possible candidate is my gggg grandmother, but I'd ruled her out before as she died in 1890 and I thought the photo was later? Could this photo of the older lady be that date? She was 81 when she died so fits the age you suggested??

Thanks do much for all your help, it really is appreciated.

Maddy
Maddy Oldale

Postby Jillian.Trethewey.25143 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:19 pm

Hi,
The original photo may have had a photographer's name and address which would help date it.
Amateur photography is more common after about 1900. (I mention this because the photo is taken outdoors and is quite dark.)

Otherwise I suggest asking round all available descendants, plus descendants of any brothers and sisters, in the hope of locating other copies of this photo and/or other photos of the same lady. People used to exchange photos among family members, including those overseas, so there is always a chance someone else has old photos too.
Regards,
Jill
Jillian.Trethewey.25143

Return to Photo identification