Moderator Control Panel ]

Eva Woodthorpe - Suffragette

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Eva Woodthorpe - Suffragette

Postby ALJ » Mon May 25, 2009 12:06 am

My Great Great Aunt Eva Woodthorpe was an active member of the Suffragettes.

According to family accounts she was injured and jailed whilst demonstrating and also chained herself to the railings at Parliament (or Downing Street?).

I have a newspaper cutting which reads:

TWO WOMEN INJURED
Four suffragists were roughly handled at Leigh-on-Sea yesterday when they attempted to hold a sandwich board parade. A large crowd had gathered, and, raising the cry "We'll have no suffragettes in Leigh," they took away the women's boards and handbills. Two of the women, Mrs. Sky and Miss Woodthorpe, were struck and injured, and their hats torn off.

Does anyone know where I can find out any more about my relative's involvement? If she had been imprisoned would their be a record somewhere?

I haven't found anything on the internet.
ALJ

RE: Eva Woodthorpe - Suffragette

Postby ksouthall » Mon May 25, 2009 6:30 am

I have found out a little bit about Mrs Sky.

She was born Rosina Posener in Soho in 1858. She was the daughter of David Posener, a Prussian born pipe manufacturer and tobacconist. In 1877 she married William David Sky. According to "The women's suffrage movement" b[font=arial][size=2]y Elizabeth Crawford, h[/size][/font]e died in 1892, however the National Archives holds a divorce petition between a Mrs Rosina Sky and William David Sky dated 1894, so she appears to have covered the truth about her past. Following her divorce, she made her living as a tobacconist. She lived in Southend-On-Sea but died in Derbyshire in 1928. She was probably a member of the Southend and Westcliffe branch of the WSPU.

Hopefully the additional information about Mrs Sky will help you to find out more about your great-great-aunt, as she may also have been a member of the Southend and Westcliffe branch of the WSPU.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find out anything about Eva Woodthorpe. Did your great-great-aunt ever marry as she may be listed under her married name in "The women's suffrage movement"?[font=arial][size=2] I can check it for you if you let me know what her married name was.[/size][/font]
ksouthall

Postby ALJ » Tue May 26, 2009 1:23 am

That's very interesting, thank you.

No, Eva Woodthorpe never married. She was living in Leigh-on-Sea with another sister (also unmarried) and her widowed mother at the time of the 1911 census.

I have found a short reference written by her niece, May Blomefield:

"Of all my aunts, Eva was the most like Mother and the nearest to her in age. Gifted and clever, she was an ardent supporter of Women's Rights in the early years of the century, and a Militant Suffragette proud to have been both injured and imprisoned for her activities in the "Cause". She was keenly interested in politics and spent much time canvassing for the Conservative Party Candidate at the elections in the borough of Southend until she and her sisters moved to Braintree after their Mother's death"
ALJ

Postby ksouthall » Wed May 27, 2009 1:00 am

Do you think the Conservative Party might have any information about her?
ksouthall

Return to General research queries