Moderator Control Panel ]

Ancestry withdrawing Family tree maker

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Ancestry withdrawing Family tree maker

Postby Path65 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:51 pm

I have used this system for over 15 years I have over 2000 people on it, Ancestry say they are not selling it any more and withdrawing the links from next year.
What do I do?
Is there a way of importing the tree into another system?
I already back up on a hard drive but I am afraid years of work will go.
This will also make me close my subscription to them and try another company
What is the best stand alone system
Path65

Re: Ancestry withdrawing Family tree maker

Postby callbrian » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:37 pm

Hi
there is already a thread for this within General research queries. There are posts there which may help you make up your mind. So far there are over 6000 negative comments on the FTM blog. If this continues it may be possible they may reconsider, as many are requiring refunds on recently purchased software.
S&N Genealogy and TWR computing both give a choice of software with detailed reviews etc.
regards
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:29 am

Nobody will get a refund, I'm sure. You buy a licence to operate the software on your PC for an indefinite period. These people will still be able to do exactly that. Sure, the synch with the online stuff will no longer work but I suspect that will be put under the heading of minor updates as all major functionality will continue.

Ancestry have already factored in the total loss of revenue from this line so it's hard to see them being moved.

Sent from my MotoG3
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:38 am

As I have mentioned in Gen Research I have asked the WDYTYA team if they could consider running a series of live Web Chats with different companies eg FH6 and Legacy to help us all decide what to do next, especially those of us who are not technically minded.

Edited - I guess the most sensisble idea is to choose a resource that is not connected to one of the big websites because if Ancestry have withdrawn support it is only a matter of time before other major websites follow suit!!
meekhcs

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:49 am

That last point is a good idea. FTM was only ever a sideline to Ancestry's main business. But the converse argument to that is that a dedicated genealogy software only house could be vulnerable to retirement like TMG. Oh dear.....

Sent from my MotoG3
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Path65 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:17 pm

Thanks to respondents, I have read the ongoing conversation in the "general" and was surprised that ancestry had responded as they have not responded to any of my emails to date.
I do understand that the system works without the ancestry link but the only reason I have stayed with ancestry and is the hits, links and backup.
Like many respondents I am looking at (1) a new system (2) a new source subscription site
My question as a total IT amateur is, is there a way of taking the data and inputting it into another system such as family search.
I am trying out FindMyPast & The Genealogist and have been surprised at there extensive data....I had been under thee impression Ancestry had most but they do not seem to have
Path65

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:52 pm

Path65,

Most genealogy programs / sites use the GEDCOM standard as the format to move data between them. If your data is on Ancestry, you can export/downlowd it as a GEDCOM file. Then you import this file into your new genealogy program. It should be a quite straitforward exercise.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:17 pm

Actually if anyone has a FTM tree, my *guess* is that they'd be better using that tree and FTM to produce the GEDCOM because I don't think that Ancestry's GEDCOM will include any images.

Sent from my MotoG3
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Genealogy chat