Moderator Control Panel ]

Fireman Fred Finnis

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Fireman Fred Finnis

Postby Nigel Worwood » Thu May 21, 2009 4:40 pm

My Great-grandfather, Frederick Samuel Finnis, was awarded two medals in his time with the Deal Fire Service. One medal was for long service, for the period 1880 to 1891. I spoke to the Kent Fire Brigade Museum, in Maidstone, and John Meakins told me it was found in a Ramsgate Army Cadet Force’s jumble sale, by their Commandant, Ian Robinson, from Broadstairs. He donated the medal to the Kent Fire Brigade Museum, in Maidstone in 1972.

The Museum subsequently loaned the medal to the Deal and Walmer History Society. I have discovered that the Society later folded and their collection was taken over by the Deal Maritime Museum, where the medal is still on display.

I am now trying to trace the second medal, for gallantry, awarded following a fire at Cullen’s, the ironmonger in the High Street, Deal, in 1881. A report, by Tony Arnold, in a 1981 edition of the East Kent Mercury, recollected the fire, stating that Stan Rowe, then living in Dover Road, who was a grandchild of Fred Finnis, held the medal.

I am trying to contact a family member of this Stanley Rowe. Also, the photographs of the medal I have, from John Meakins, show on the back the name “Mr W H Honey, Deal February 1979”. Maybe Mr Honey, or his family, could shed some light on the history and location of the medal.

Nigel Worwood (My mother Lettice Finnis was Fred’s grand-daughter)
Nigel Worwood

Return to General research queries