Moderator Control Panel ]

Langton Mill, nr Horncastle Lincs

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

Langton Mill, nr Horncastle Lincs

Postby dsharp72 » Sun May 17, 2009 9:33 pm

My 3 times great grandfather was the master miller and owner of Langton Mill near Horncastle. John Sharp born 1821 (married to Elizabeth Annie Spencer) lived there with their 3 children; Thomas, William & Elizabeth. I don't have his death date and therefore unsure how long they occupied the mill.

As I understand it, the mill was rebuilt from brick and is still standing, but no longer has its sails. I think these were intact until just before WWII from a photocopied picture I have.

I am looking for people from the Horncastle area that might be able to provide me with any historic details about the mill, my ancestors, its use and am also trying to locate any local photos of the mill, preferably with its sails in working order.

Many thanks and best wishes,
Darren
dsharp72

RE: Langton Mill, nr Horncastle Lincs

Postby ksouthall » Mon May 18, 2009 12:36 am

I found the following information on the website listed below. There is also a photo of the mill in its current state and grid references for it.[/align][/align] [/align][b]Langton Mill near Horncastle[/b][/align]Built in 1861 by C. Clark of Horncastle to replace a post mill. This tower mill worked until 1936 when the four sails were damaged and had to be removed. It was eventually dismantled and the tower now stands on a farm, used as a store.[/align] [/align][link=http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/555991]http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/555991[/link][/align] [/align]
ksouthall

RE: Langton Mill, nr Horncastle Lincs

Postby dsharp72 » Mon May 18, 2009 1:10 am

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

If any locals have any pictures of the mill with the sails intact, I would love to hear from you.

All the best.
dsharp72

Re: Langton Mill, nr Horncastle Lincs

Postby robynstokoe » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:10 am

Hi. I was interested to read of your ancestor's conncetion to Langton Mill. My ancestor Edward Allison b.1766 died on February 3rd 1825. A family reminiscence about his death says: "He was killed by being caught by the sails of Langton Mill, which belonged to him. (He entertained John Wesley at his home in Grimsby."
He was buried at Thimbleby Church Yard near Horncastle.
robynstokoe

Return to Local history