Moderator Control Panel ]

I need some help please!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

I need some help please!

Postby EmmaR » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:00 pm

I'm searching my fathers side of the family, and have worked back to the 1841 census. I want to know and find out when a relative was married... but my guess its before 1837. Is it possible to still find a record? as i really want to know his wife's maiden name.
EmmaR

RE: I need some help please!

Postby Guy » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:23 pm

Yes however it may be more difficult than post 1837 marriages.
Assuming that the couple married in the C of E (as most would) then the problem is knowing which church they used.
If the family was settled in one parish for some time the most likely church would be the brides local parish church.
However many of our ancestors where quite mobile so this is not always the case.

Even if the families stayed in the same parishes for some generations there might be cause to start with the local church then extend the search out wards to neighbouring parishes.
In cases such as this it is always hard to advise when no details of the families or locations are known
Cheers
Guy
Guy

Postby Elin » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:40 pm

I have had a lot of success for pre 1837 with this web site: [link=http://www.familysearch.org]www.familysearch.org[/link] Cheers Elin
Elin

Postby EmmaR » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:56 pm

thanks so much. I'll have a look. Its really hard work!
EmmaR

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:03 pm

Hi Emma,

Many family history societies sell CDs of marriages prior to 1837. I have three such discs from Suffolk Family History Society, Norfolk Family History Society and Sussex Family History Society. The Sussex one is particularly good.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby EmmaR » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:36 pm

thankyou for that information. I will look in to it.
EmmaR

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:36 pm

Hi Emma,

Just thought of another suggestion. Try this website:

[link=http://www.familyhistoryonline.net]http://www.familyhistoryonline.net[/link]

You buy £5 worth of credits (which last a long time if you use them wisely) and you can look for baptisms, burials and marriages.

Check the county databases first before you buy credits to see if they have information from the areas you are interested in.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby EmmaR » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:36 pm

excellent. Thanks so much!
EmmaR

Return to General research queries