Moderator Control Panel ]

Open Access to GRO Registrations 1837 to 1908

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Open Access to GRO Registrations 1837 to 1908

Postby ironpuddler » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:16 pm

[font=arial][size=3]I have long felt that we should have open access to the registrations of births, marriages and deaths for those registrations over 100 years old, especially since we have access to the census records over the same period.[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=3] [/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=3]How many family historians have sent off for copy certificates only to find they are the wrong entry. The registrations from 1911 to date are more helpful as they include the mothers name in birth certificates, spouse in marriages.[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=3]However the early indexes of registrations have no help at all and are sometime made more difficult as they are written in script.[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=3]In a modern society where access to information seems to be a right with the Freedom of Information Act. It seems strange that we have to rely on selecting from an index of volumes and pages to find out if one of our ancestors was born, married or died, pay our money and have a copy certificate sent to us that is no help what so ever.[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=3]We have seen that the new 1911 census has been issued before it is a hundred years old and how we can see the registrations from the sixteenth century to middle of the nineteenth century, so why can we not see those over a hundred years old.[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=3]The internet is the right place for this information and there are many sites that offer access to family history records, which we are happy to pay a small fee to view. I am sure there is an opportunity for the GRO to make this possible.[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=3]I have managed to get 10 Downing Street to allow an e-petition looking for support to have open access to the registers of Births, marriages and deaths from 1837 to 1908.[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=3]This one act would enable all family historians and genealogists to find the right family certificate without having to purchase a copy certificate which turns out to be incorrect.[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=3]I hope you can support me in this as I feel it will make family history just that little bit easier, after all these registrations are over 100 years old.[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=3]The link is [/size][/font][link=http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/OpenBMDrecords/][u][font=arial][color=#800080][size=3]http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/OpenBMDrecords/[/size][/color][/font][/u][/link]
[font=arial][size=3]I would be interested to find out your opinions and grateful if you would support the petition.[/size][/font]
ironpuddler

RE: Open Access to GRO Registrations 1837 to 1908

Postby Guy » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:26 am

Unfortunately as I have pointed out on other forums petitions such as this are counter productive and will actually delay the release of records rather than promote their release.

Your petition asks for-
“Having full and open access to the registers of births, marriages and deaths from 1837 to 1908 will make it easier for genealogists to research the records and ensure they get the copies they require. If copies were put on the internet this would simplify the process. These records are over a hundred years old and should now be accessible to all with a small fee to cover the cost of copying the originals.”

The present system provides full and open access to every birth, marriage and death registered since 1837. This is by way of an index and certificate ordering system and is provided at cost price.
You are therefore not asking for anything that is not already provided.

As you are no doubt aware the government attempted to update the system back in 2002 by means of a White Paper – ‘Civil Registration: Delivering Vital Change’.
Have you read the White paper and subsequent consultation documents? If not I suggest you do so.
[link=http://www.statistics.gov.uk/statbase/Product.asp?vlnk=10544]http://www.statistics.gov.uk/statbase/Product.asp?vlnk=10544[/link]

Unfortunately due to their bungled attempts to unlawfully fast track the required legislation the project failed.
The last thing this government will do is to get behind a petition that is as poorly thought out as their previous attempt.
Each time an attempt is bungled the process is made that much harder for those who wish to see change.

Only a well thought out reasoned approach will produce the legislation required to change the system in place. Cheers
Guy
Guy

Return to General research queries